Holy Grail Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corncob

Reaction score
I had Blacksheep's Holy Grail Ale from a keg once and I really liked it, although I wouldn't say it knocked my socks off. I needed another WY1469 beer to go with some others to get mileage out of the yeast purchase. (You can't help but top crop this one--dirt skim on day 2 or 3, and then take the whole cake the following day. I have, however, consistently noticed that subsequent batches flocculate less and less, although they taste awesome.) This recipe was ripped off of somebody out there in the cyberspace. It turned out to be excellent ale, but not very similar to the HGA I just tasted from a bottle, which was stale and generally unremarkable. I can't remember the fresh version clearly enough to say how similar. Sorry. But this is what I brewed, and it was good.

For 6 gallons at about 80% efficiency:
English Pale Malt 7 lbs
Unmalted Wheat 1lb
Invert 14oz
Britsh Crystal 45 6oz
Brewer's Gold 1.5oz@60min for 33 IBU
Brewer's Gold .5oz@0min

Mash at 152 for 90 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes (bittering hops go in at 60.) Should be about 1.047 OG, 1.009 FG and 5% ABV.

I fermented mine cold--64 the whole way through--to (hopefully) promote fruit, top-cropped, crashed when done (a little less than 2 weeks), kegged, and carbed to about 1.9 volumes. It ended up brilliantly clear at about 6 weeks total. Golden, tons of apple/pear esters. A little sweet. A little floral and spice from the hops. Crisp finish, with maybe a bit too much bitterness. Really fruity, with maybe a hint of invert twang. Not much maltiness, but has a definite sparkly wheat note. Very, VERY 1469-ey.

For the record.

Back