First batch tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homestarhanes

Reaction score
I cracked my first batch open yesterday. It is a Fuller's London Porter clone, but it wasn't all i wanted it to be. I believe it got infected sometime during the fermentation period. It never had any visual signs of an infestation, but when i tasted it there was a weird sour taste and smell to the beer. The weird thing is, in a 22 oz bottle there is more sourness than in a 12 oz bottle. Any reason for that?

I know that i need to tweek my sanitation for this next batch, but do i need to get new fermentation and bottling buckets, or do i just need to sanitize the crap outta them before the next time? I have a carboy i can use for my next batch, but not any money to get the bottling bucket if i need an new one.

I had a bad first batch, but i still got the brew bug and am ready to keep on brewing!!! :mug:

The infection could have come from a majority of things. For instance, you could have infected the beer during racking from fermenter to bottling bucket. Could have forgotten to sterilize the caps.
You should be fine with the equipment you have; just remember that sanitizing the equipment doesn't mean the surface is clean. Give it a good cleaning without scratching the surfaces and then sanitize before you use the equipment. Equipment that sits around for a few weeks will need to re-sanitized.
How many bottles did you try? Is the sour taste universal through out many beers?

A buddy and I drank a 22 oz yesterday and i drank a 12 oz later that night. just sat down with another 12 oz now and i still taste some sour but doesn't seem to be as much as my previous 2.

when i bottled the beer it had a sour smell to it and a bit of a sour taste too, which is why i figured it came from fermenting. Does seem to be not as sour now though. could the sitting around in or out of the fridge help it?

If you read here for a while there are 2 most common posts from first time breweres:

1. Do I have a "stuck fermentation" because airlock activity starts later than they expected or bubbles stop sooner than expected.

2. Tried my first batch of Kit "X" and it tastes sour.

The replies always come back the same, to question one it is RDWHAHB and check a SG at the appropriate time.

But for question 2 the answer always turns to, "sounds like an infection". But the reality is you probably don't have an infection. It is pretty hard to infect your beer. You can find threads about many brewers using techniques that you would expect to almost always lead to infections but that simply isn't the case, so to believe that 50% or more of first time home brewers have an infected first batch because they post "tried first bottle, sour taste" is illogical. Much of the time the first batch people make is the first time they have ever tried homebrew.

The truth is it is hard to make a homebrew that doesn't taste somewhat like homebrew. The darker/hoppier the beer and the longer you condition it, the less noticable this flavor is. Some folks will claim that you only get this flavor from Liquid Malt Extract Brewing, and not from dry malt extract or all grain brewing but I don't agree. I have tried many homebrews including partial and full mashes and I would say most are recognizable as Home Brew by this flavor described as twang.

see this thread and the many other describing this so called "twang". I would say that is most likely what you are tasting.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/extract-twang-what-54434/

Porter, you say? How long has it been sitting? My recently all-done-drinkin porter was sour going into bottles and at a 2-week test. Then at 4 weeks, it tasted great. At 6 it was fantastic. Perhaps a longer waiting period will take care of some of that sour taste.

Thanks brewit2it, that helps a bunch actually. Didnt think of it that way.

Xaphoeous, it has only been 2 weeks. I will try to age it for a bit longer. See what it does. Sounds to me like im just being impatient and not realizing that its not going to be the end all be all beer in the world.

At 2 weeks what you are tasting is green beer, for sure. The carbonating process in the bottles is a mini-fermentation, so you will have a few off flavors for a while. Let it sit for a few weeks and see how it is. (It is perfectly acceptable to sneak a bottle to see how things are coming along!)

Back