Born on Date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
I have seen some pic's of you all that have a descriptive beer list (menu) for your Keezers & Kegorators. I have a white board for mine. My main question is if you list the "Born on Date" is it the date the beer was kegged? Or the date the yeast was pitched?? Also, besides Name, Born on & ABV....what do you all list on your menus? Just curious..........

All my **** is on Google calendar which is not as convenient as a bar wench honestly.

All my **** is on Google calendar which is not as convenient as a bar wench honestly.

Same here, I use iCal to keep track of things. If it didn't send me an alert I'd never remember to take gravity readings, or bottle anything...

Also each batch is numbered so I know what's what.

Still looking to see if people think the "Born on" date is when the yeast is pitched or when the beer is packaged?

Just to throw out an analogy, (with apologies to all), we don't consider a baby to be born until it is delivered. Going by this, you wouldn't consider your beer to be "born" while still in the gestational period, only when it has left the mother carboy, and placed in a bottle?

Did I really just type that? :)

Just to throw out an analogy, (with apologies to all), we don't consider a baby to be born until it is delivered. Going by this, you wouldn't consider your beer to be "born" while still in the gestational period, only when it has left the mother carboy, and placed in a bottle?

You did. I always regarded wort as the fertile womb, and yeast as a load of semen splashing happily into the inviting malt-rich environment. So I'm right there with you.

That makes sense..... So I shouldn't feel weird about keeping the afterbirth in my fridge when I harvest yeast.......

You did. I always regarded wort as the fertile womb, and yeast as a load of semen splashing happily into the inviting malt-rich environment. So I'm right there with you.

That makes sense..... So I shouldn't feel weird about keeping the afterbirth in my fridge when I harvest yeast.......

And I thought I had issues...

Pick whatever reference point you prefer and stick with it. Depending on why you're keeping track of it, different references might make sense.

I tend to track the bottling date, for no other reason than it's a convenient time to mark the box. If I wanted to mark the brew date, I'd have to look that up, so I just stick a label with today's date on the box and file it away in the closet to condition. It also makes sense because that's the start of carbonation, so I need to know that date to decide when to start checking whether it's done.

I have a log entry in my brewing log that indicates when I bottled it, so I can use that to find the brew notes if I need to.

We buried and then planted a tree over the afterbirth of our first-born.

Some Native tribes believe that eating the afterbirth promotes health and good luck to the family.

Aaaannnnyyhow........ :drunk:

Latest posts

Back