Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsr

Reaction score
Hi guys,
as you know, I live in southern Brazil (São Paulo). I also live on a building, and I have very little room to brew and store. I can live with it though. My fear is the temperature issue. here we have winters with maximum 10oC and summers with 30oC. Of course inside this room of mine there is less temperature variation, which I´m not sure how much is yet.

So let´s say I store for some years there. Are the hot temperatures and variations going to ruin it?
Should I find a better place to store it? IS there any equipment that could help me without being too volumous and costy?
Finally, I have a small wine refrigerator, which holds a small amount of bottles. Is aging in the bottle worse then aging in the carboy/keg/...?

I recently read an article about wine storage where the guy had a few bottles that had been stored really badly, as far as convential wisdom goes - too hot, stuff like that.

He actually found that some wines do better with high temperatures, and suggested that there really isn't the same ideal storage temperature for everything, which makes some sense.

I don't remember where the article was anymore, but it was interesting.

The only way to really know for sure is to try. You're probably better off with someplace cooler/darker, maybe a closet?

I'd probably put a few in the wine refrigerator for long term storage, but anything I was going to drink within a year or two, I wouldn't worry about. Temp stability is really only an issue for long term aging.

aging mead in the carboy might be your best bet. as it is in a larger volume, the tempurature fluctuations will be less. I think aging in the carboy is better for mead as long as you do a secondary or even a third rack.

Back