max grain bill in 5 gal cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Just a quick question - how big of a grain bill can I do in a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler? I'm looking at a recipe that takes 13 pounds of grain, but the most I've done in my cooler is 11 pounds. 11 was getting close to full, but there was still a bit of space. Hoping I can do 13 or even 14 (??)

Just a quick question - how big of a grain bill can I do in a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler? I'm looking at a recipe that takes 13 pounds of grain, but the most I've done in my cooler is 11 pounds. 11 was getting close to full, but there was still a bit of space. Hoping I can do 13 or even 14 (??)

There is a "Can I Mash It?" Calculator here
Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Or convert your 5 gallon into an HLT and go get a 10 gallon cooler.

I get about 12 lbs with a fairly thick mash. Wouldn't go much past that. If you're hurting for space, you can take your specialty grains and steep them in your kettle for a little while. Specialty grains don't need to be converted through mashing, just steeped.

I get about 12 lbs with a fairly thick mash. Wouldn't go much past that. If you're hurting for space, you can take your specialty grains and steep them in your kettle for a little while. Specialty grains don't need to be converted through mashing, just steeped.

Good idea. I like this. I am mash space limited as well and planning a dubbel as my next batch. I thought I might have to resort to some DME but not with this split method.

Any down side? Do I get the full effect from the specialty grains?

I've mashed 13# grain in a 5g cooler at 1 qt per lb, and still had just enough room left for a mash out with boiling water (I was fly sparging).
Bigsnake's link is great. I can confirm (and so can many others) that the mash calculator is accurate.

-a.

And this is why I always say get the bigger cooler/mash-tun. In the end you will want to anyway. :drunk:

Good idea. I like this. I am mash space limited as well and planning a dubbel as my next batch. I thought I might have to resort to some DME but not with this split method.

Any down side? Do I get the full effect from the specialty grains?

As long as you're taking into account the volume of water you're using for the steeping, you should be fine. That can get a little tricky with grain absorbtion, so if you're in a pinch I would do it this way. If you've got the 40 bucks lying around, get a 10 gallon. I have two 5 gallon coolers which I can do good session beers in (what I like) and I can brew two seperate beers at the same time with the two coolers. If I need to make a really big beer, I split the grain bill between them and run out to one pot. Just personal preference really.

I have an IPA recipe that I've brewed twice that has 13lbs of grain. It worked quite well but I definately had a thicker mash and I did my sparge in two rounds.

Another think you could try is to reduce your brew volume a bit. You can still make high gravity beers but only a make a 4 gallon batch. It's not ideal but I did it with a doppelbock and it worked quite well.

Latest posts

Back