Starter longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Pirate

Reaction score
so i planned on doing a RIS this weekend but plans changed and i dont have the time. i already started my starter though. will it be able to last a week, untill i can start brewing or will i need to get more yeast?

Air Pirate said:
so i planned on doing a RIS this weekend but plans changed and i dont have the time. i already started my starter though. will it be able to last a week, untill i can start brewing or will i need to get more yeast?

Just put it in the fridge & it should be fine, you could always decant it a day or two before you are ready to brew and add some fresh wort if you are worried.

I've left a starter out for a week and it was just fine. As long as the temp doesn't get to high you should be okay. I would recommend sticking it in the fridge if it's gonna be more than 5 days or so though.

I've left a starter out for a week and it was just fine. As long as the temp doesn't get to high you should be okay. I would recommend sticking it in the fridge if it's gonna be more than 5 days or so though.

i like the sound of this. Things around here have been busy for past couple of weeks, and I made a starter for a brew on the first of March, but haven't had the time to do the brew, as a typical brew day for me is around 8 hrs start to finish (this includes bringing the wort to proper pitching temps, and getting everything clean, that means you CFC.)

Back