Rotten egg stink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
From perusing the forums a bit I've seen this question answers in different ways but never under the same conditions.

Did my first brew (a simple apple cider), o followed a recipe since it was my first time and all and the recipe called for a second fermentation with no major additions in between. Out of curiosity I made up two bottles before closing up the second fermentation, I wanted to see what the difference between 1 and 2 fermentations would really do. The first fermentation sat for about 2 weeks, about a week after airlock activity seemed to stop. Before bottling I didn't notice any bad smells. I opened one of the two (12 oz) bottles about 9 days after bottling and was met with a putrid smell and only a small amount of Carbonation ( used one Carbonation tablet per 12Oz). The cider tasted fairly fine (fairly bitter plan on using stevia in the raw before bottling to sweeten up). I'm not sure what exactly went wrong and is it preventable for when I do my major bottling in a week?

What yeast did you use? I know that some lager yeasts put off a sulphur-y smell during krausen, but that usually goes away.

Can you post the recipe and instructions?

White labs English cider yeast

http://www.makehardapplecider.com

I followed this recipe completely except for the pectin ( I wasnt to worried about clarity yet) I saw a lot of posts on this topic but they all seemed to get the smell during fermentation, mine smelled fine until post bottling. Although for the yeast, we did have it at a bit of a warmer temperature than we should have ( very limited space with little cooling anywhere) could that be the problem?

I am unable to link to the recipe page, so I will assume that you added Camden tablets/ sodium or potassium metabiSULFITE.
This is where the sulphur compounds are produced.
It is not as much a function of 2 fermentation as it is racking the cider off the lees (proteins and junk that settle).
Perfectly normal though. Commonly referred to as "rhino farts"

That seems awful early to be bottling a cider, or even transferring to secondary.
Did you take a gravity reading before transfer?
Having sulfuric aromas blowing off is very common for ciders. (when I do one, I have to constantly reassure my wife that I didn't do it...:drunk: )
Your mileage may vary, but I usually leave cider in primary for about a month, then another month or 2 in secondary, depending on how long it takes to clear out.
Cider takes much longer to ferment than beer; it's usually bubbling for at least 2.5 - 3 weeks.
I wouldn't worry too much about having to off aromas in the test bottles, give your batch plenty of time in secondary and it should fade out.

@brewkinger Campden tablets were used when I made it so is this something that will go away with time?

@Jrgtr42 so could it have been just from not sitting long enough? That was my first recipe and i hadn't seen many before I made this one and it seems like mine didn't have a lot of sugar substance. It stopped bubbling about a week and a half after we put it in the first fermentation. Would longer periods of bottle conditioning help as well? We only had it in bottle fir like 1.5 weeks cause i got curious

@brewkinger Campden tablets were used when I made it so is this something that will go away with time?

@Jrgtr42 so could it have been just from not sitting long enough? That was my first recipe and i hadn't seen many before I made this one and it seems like mine didn't have a lot of sugar substance. It stopped bubbling about a week and a half after we put it in the first fermentation. Would longer periods of bottle conditioning help as well? We only had it in bottle fir like 1.5 weeks cause i got curious

If the rest is in secondary, yes, it will probably go away in time. Once it's sealed in the bottle, it will not go away - there's no where for it to go.
As far as the fermentation, it possibly may be finished, it may not be. Did you check the gravity? Cider will start at approximately 1.055, and will finish at about 1.000, possibly .998. It won't go any lower than that, but if it's much higher, it's not done yet. Also, the yeast will need some time after they are done actively fermenting to "clean up" after themselves. Cider yeast can throw off a lot of the sulfuric compounds, and it takes time for them to blow off.

Alright I'll check it a few days before I plan on bottling and see from there

Back