Awesome sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
I've been using a 10 gallon cooler and a ss false bottom as a MT for a while now. I just tried wrapping my false bottom in cheesecloth for the hell of it. Prior to that it would only take a few vorlaufs to get it grain free but this time around there was absolutely no grain coming through, I just vorlaufed a few times and sparged easy peasy. The only comment I would have is that the flow was slower than normal but I usually try to spare as slow as possible so I was happy.

Im wondering if there is any huge reason why I shouldn't do this and why it isn't a more common practice. Thoughts? If anything I just wouldn't do this in a direct fire mash tun but that's about it

HopOnHops said:
I've been using a 10 gallon cooler and a ss false bottom as a MT for a while now. I just tried wrapping my false bottom in cheesecloth for the hell of it. Prior to that it would only take a few vorlaufs to get it grain free but this time around there was absolutely no grain coming through, I just vorlaufed a few times and sparged easy peasy. The only comment I would have is that the flow was slower than normal but I usually try to spare as slow as possible so I was happy.

Im wondering if there is any huge reason why I shouldn't do this and why it isn't a more common practice. Thoughts? If anything I just wouldn't do this in a direct fire mash tun but that's about it

Other than something else to add to the process, if it works..do it! You will have to account for a little absorption but probably not much. As long as you don't get a stuck sparge, you created a better filter

Btw, if not Jaybird, I have seen some sort of sock or filter screen that is made to go over a false bottom from somewhere

As long as it doesn't clog. I really like the bazooka screen. Just run a pump on recirculate for a couple minutes and all the gunk seems to collect on top of the grain instead of the bottom.

Back