Cascadian Dark Ale: Trail Builder Fuel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggles

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Windsor
Yeast Starter
Packet
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 @ 19C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 @ 19C
Tasting Notes
Smooth, earthy, a hint of sweetness plays with the bitterness, nice pine flavour.
This is my first recipe post.

11lb Gambrinus Pale Malt (ESB Pale or MO would be good too)
1lb Pale malt toasted at 275F for 40mins.
14oz Chocolate Malt
10oz Crystal 120L
1oz Centennial @60 (~11%AA)
1oz Chinnok @20 (~15%AA)
1oz Centennial @60
1oz Chinook @ flame out
1oz Chinook in dry hop

I wanted something that I could take up into the mountains with me when I go trail building, so I was after something rich and complementary to the forest. I had harvested some Centennial at a friend's house which I wanted to use, but I really wanted something less bright than the citrusy Centennials, so I used Chinook for flavouring and dryhopping. This years Chinook harvest smells absolutely incredible.
There is no bitter malts to take away from the hops, and there is a little bit of sweetness to counteract the bitterness of the hops. It was my first time using Windsor Yeast, I was curious because it seems to be a love/hate thing for everyone. At the time of transferring to secondary, it was fairly normal, but when I bottled, it smelled so fruity and odd, almost tropical. I was certain that it would be a throw away batch, but after a month in bottles, the fruitiness subsided, and it left a very drinkable beer with a decent amount of complexity.

Things I would change in the next batch:
Swap the base malt for ESB malt to increase the richness.
A few more hops to bump up the IBU count to around 80 (which would take it out of style).
Drop the flameout hops and add that extra ounce to the dry hop to really pull the most out of the Chinook.

Back