Special Bitter w/ Pacific Gem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've been drinking this for a couple weeks now, and I gotta say: I am impressed. I'm typically a heavy beer brewer (hence "Thick as Thieves")...high ABV, high hops, lots of malt...but since the heat rolled around, I've been enjoying the lighter stuff: the New Bohemia Pils, and this guy. Great malt character, really balanced, and the hop bitterness lingers for a long time after you swallow, just perfectly. But more importantly, the Pacific Gem experiment went swimmingly! I've only used PG once before, as a bittering hop when I had nothing else, but a friend told me that it's fun stuff, so I got a couple ounces. It has this crisp, brambly thing going on, with a hint of summer berries (mulberries, raspberries, blackberries). I highly recommend trying it out as a flavor/aroma addition on a pale ale or bitter.

This is only my 4th or 5th AG, and I'm definitely happy with the progress. We'll see how the Rochefort 10 turns out, though...:D

Sounds fantastic! I am always looking for some new and interesting hop flavor action so I will add Pac Gem to the list that also includes Nelson Sauvin.

Evan,

Since you say you like the heavy stuff, this idea may be right up your alley. I have used the Pacific Gem in Scottish Ales with good results and it is currently in the Scotch Ale I have in secondary. I used it since I read that it adds dark fruit/blackberry flavors as a flavor hop and I thought it would fit good in that style. I recently heard that the Scots are actually experimenting with it since it is an organic hop - which I hear is important to them - but also has good disease resistance.

Combine the PG with some Special B in the malt bill and you really get a great dark fruit/dried fruit flavor. I took third in my first competition with this recipe and the judging sheets called out flavors of blackberries, raisins, and plums.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Evan,

Since you say you like the heavy stuff, this idea may be right up your alley. I have used the Pacific Gem in Scottish Ales with good results and it is currently in the Scotch Ale I have in secondary. I used it since I read that it adds dark fruit/blackberry flavors as a flavor hop and I thought it would fit good in that style. I recently heard that the Scots are actually experimenting with it since it is an organic hop - which I hear is important to them - but also has good disease resistance.

Combine the PG with some Special B in the malt bill and you really get a great dark fruit/dried fruit flavor. I took third in my first competition with this recipe and the judging sheets called out flavors of blackberries, raisins, and plums.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out in my next scottish brew.

Had another bottle of the PGSB last night. Damn, it is amazing stuff. Might be my favorite so far.

Back