Hops growing yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
Anyone up north have their hops growing yet? I was in the backyard yesterday and noticed chutes coming up from every plant that I have, 7 varietes. Due to this mild winter here, I'm about 2-3 months ahead of what I had last year.

beerloaf

I've been expecting mine to come up any day now, it was 80 degrees on Sunday. Still nothing though.. I was digging around there and noticed a ton of shoots coming off my oldest plant (a 4 yr old Centennial), so it's probably only a matter of time before they break the surface.

Anyone up north have their hops growing yet? I was in the backyard yesterday and noticed chutes coming up from every plant that I have, 7 varietes. Due to this mild winter here, I'm about 2-3 months ahead of what I had last year.

beerloaf

Dug through some of my mulch and had 3 inch shoots coming up already.
Centennial
Goldings
Mt Hood
Perle
Williamette
Cascade
Nugget

I guess I take back what I said earlier, my wife just sent me a pic of the front yard hops, cascades have already broken the surface

Uh oh. I was planning on transplanting mine from pots to ground in April. May have to push that up.

And I'm going to have to see if mine are doing anything when I get home tonight.

I have one second year Cascade that just barely has some shoots in Seattle. Planning on planting some more varieties this season.

beerloaf

Just out of curiosity, was last year your first or second year growing them? The reason I ask is that there's a big difference from 'starts' to a plant that's got a year's growth under it's belt. Sometimes it takes two years for them to really get established.

If they've been in the ground for a couple years, then yeah, it's most likely the mild weather. Mine are pushing, but nothing's really broken ground yet. The rhizomes I'm digging are to the point where they should be in mid April. Soil temps have everything to do with it. Hopefully Ma Nature doesn't do a 360 on us or all the excitement will be all-for naught. What ever she decides, you just gotta roll with it!

Here's the pic of the cascades in my front yard, they were newly planted last year.

IMG_3717.jpg

Just out of curiosity, was last year your first or second year growing them? The reason I ask is that there's a big difference from 'starts' to a plant that's got a year's growth under it's belt. Sometimes it takes two years for them to really get established.

If they've been in the ground for a couple years, then yeah, it's most likely the mild weather. Mine are pushing, but nothing's really broken ground yet. The rhizomes I'm digging are to the point where they should be in mid April. Soil temps have everything to do with it. Hopefully Ma Nature doesn't do a 360 on us or all the excitement will be all-for naught. What ever she decides, you just gotta roll with it!

Mine are 2nd year plants. Except for the Saaz and Fuggle that I planed today.

beerloaf

At the end of last season I put a small pile of mulched leaves over each of my rhizomes. Do I need to remove the mulch piles for this season? Thanks

No need to remove the mulch, PJM. It's good practice to cover them over with mulch and/or compost in winter. The shoots will find there way up, and the mulch will conserve water and break down to improve soil over the growing season.

Curious, what do u do with last year plants? Cut them down to base of plants in fall or let them die nature then cut off where regrowth plants?

My sterling from last year got replanted a couple weeks ago. It has a couple shoots peeking out of the soil. I think I might cover them up with some loose soil to make sure the plant grows some roots before it tries to grow above soil.

It is good idea to top them off to the crown for the winter to prevent disease. I just run mine over with the mower at 2" after harvest.

My 2nd year cascades are poking through the ground at my parents place in Western WI. The 2nd year fuggles aren't showing anything, although that is how it was when I planted them last year, the cascades started showing first. The picture is showing the cascades. The longest shoot is about 1". We'll see how if fares, when the temperature goes down, but that is what experiments are for! :)

2012-03-11_13-34-49_712.jpg

Back