FW Velvet Merlin (Merkin) Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Has anyone sucessfully cloned Firestone Walkers Velvet Merlin? If so, please post your recipes.

I'm pretty sure they are the same. Fsw had to change the name from merkin to Merlin when it was bottled. Someone at the ttb looked up the meaning of merkin and nixed the name.

Now, there is some barrel-aged merkin that is a wonderful treat and completely different from the regular Merlin.

Cheers!
Kevin

nebben said:
FYI, the Merkin and Merlin are different beers. Either way, they're good though!

Not according to Matt Brynildson, their brewmaster ;)

I did email FSW asking for the malt percentages and mash temp but have not yet received a response.

I was lucky enough to get some feedback from Matt Brynildson himself about my draft of a clone recipe for Velvet Merlin. Here is what I ended up with. Haven't tried it yet, as I'm waiting for my current batch of DBA to finish up to clear out the fermentation chamber, but I can't wait to give it a go. It sounds great.

Firestone-Walker Velvet Merlin clone

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Ingredients
Amt Name %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 32.8 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 19.7 %
1 lbs 14 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 12.3 %
1 lbs 14 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) 12.3 %
1 lbs 4 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 8.2 %
1 lbs 2 oz Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (80.0 SRM) 7.4 %
6.0 oz Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) 2.4 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) 1.6 %
2.00 oz Fuggles, US [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 31.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles, US [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.062
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 (?)
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 33.2 IBUs
Est Color: 39.7 SRM

Mash Steps
156 F 30 min
159 F 30 min

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd overlooked that detail. The FW website says that they do all the fermenting in stainless, and partially age in barrels. So, probably best not to go over the top with oak or bourbon. They ferment a percentage of their DBA in the union barrels. For the 5-gal batch I'm making now, that works out to something like 1.25oz of cubes in the primary (per CYBI). Based on that, I'd guess that for Velvet Merlin, a good start would be a ounce of oak infused with a few ounces of bourbon in secondary. Or after primary. whatever. Man, this is sounding better every day. Can't wait!

Just want to clear up that Merlin and Merkin are indeed two different beers. The Merkin is the Merlin with higher abv % and has been aged in bourbon barrels. Merkin is only available on tap. I can easily say Merkin is in my top 3 beers of all time.

@oshucks

Putting together my own Velvet Merlin clone and wondering if you could offer any feedback on the last recipe you posted? What adjustments would you make if you were to do this again?

Wondering also if you'd post what advice Matt B gave to you with respect to this recipe.

Thanks!

I too would love to clone this beer or make something simalar to it.

Also, as far as I can remember Merkin and Merlin are the exact same beer.

IPA4ME said:
Also, as far as I can remember Merkin and Merlin are the exact same beer.

Please refer to my above post. I lived a mile from Firestone Brewery for 5 years :)

Yeah, they are two different beers. I had the pleasure of trying the Merkin at one of Firestone's tasting rooms.

Please refer to my above post. I lived a mile from Firestone Brewery for 5 years :)

Yeah, saw that...but before they upped the ABV and aged it in bourbon barrels and even before they bottled the beer, it was originally called Velvet Merkin.

The original Velvet Merkin is the exact same thing as what is bottled today and known as, Velvet Merlin.

I remember first drinking this beer way back when, on cask and falling in love with it...I live about 200 miles away from the brewery ;)

Not trying to get into a pissing match, just saying....

Now, has anyone successfully cloned this beer or have come close?

IPA4ME said:
Yeah, saw that...but before they upped the ABV and aged it in bourbon barrels and even before they bottled the beer, it was originally called Velvet Merkin.

The original Velvet Merkin is the exact same thing as what is bottled today and known as, Velvet Merlin.

I remember first drinking this beer way back when, on cask and falling in love with it...I live about 200 miles away from the brewery ;)

I actually heard the brewer say exactly this. They had to change the name for bottling label approval.

IPA4ME said:

You are quite right. I guess I could have elaborated a bit more. They used to be the same beer. I didn't know what a "Merkin" was until I had the beer and someone told me. Quite funny imo. I as well was not looking for a pissing match just trying to clarify. I think the both of us have cleared it all up for everyone who reads this topic :)

@oshucks

Putting together my own Velvet Merlin clone and wondering if you could offer any feedback on the last recipe you posted? What adjustments would you make if you were to do this again?

Wondering also if you'd post what advice Matt B gave to you with respect to this recipe.

Thanks!

The recipe turned out a stunning beer. Smooth as a baby's butt, chocolate, roasty, just enough oak, and a hint of bourbon. In a side-by-side, with this beer on draft, against a 12oz bottle of commercial Velvet Merlin, it wasn't a clone. it wasn't even a fair fight. The homebrew was richer, more chocolate, more complex. BUT, I do fondly recall that when I last had Velvet Merlin on draft, it was truly memorable, so I'd really like to do an A/B test with this recipe against draft Merlin. Trouble is, I need to make another batch to do that. Tough job, but somebody's gotta do it...

Here is the unedited exchange I had with Matt Brynildson at FW, from which I formulated the recipe that I posted:

Dan
Your recipe looks great!
We are using 12% Oats and 12% Briess Roast Barley so I would increase your Roast Barley a little.
We are less than 2% Carafa so I would turn that down a little. I just use it to boost color but I don't want to taste it.
Our higher Caramel malt is up at 7%.
We mash at 156F

Hope this helps
Best of luck!!
Matt

Matt,
Is it reasonable to assume that the mash profile for Merlin is similar to Reserve (as told to the CYBI gang):
Dan

Actually Merlin is different. 156F start and then small ramp to 159F before we transfer to the lauter tun.
As single infusion as we get.
shhhhhhhhhh
Matt​

Also, the FW web site lists medium and dark English Crystal, and I went with Dark (80L) and Extra Dark (160L).

I wanted to resurrect/update this thread. I brewed the recipe listed on the first page. It turned out to be an amazing beer. Going from memory of the last time I had the merlin on draft it is very very close. It needs a month of age for the flavors to meld and some of the British esters to subside but it it damn good.

I did a 30 min mash at 154, then a 30 minute mash at 157 and nailed the OG and FG. I can't think of anything I would change right now but I'd love to find a few bottles of the merlin to do a side by side.

I also brewed a 10 gallon batch so I have another corny in my lager fridge ready whenever this one kicks.

I can post a pic if anyone is interested

Just did the same as you, what a great beer

The recipe I used was slightly different based upon what Firestone has on their website and various threads and reported comments from Matt
http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/velvet-merlin-fall-and-winter
abv 5.5%
ibu 27
color 65SRM
Malts
Maris Otter, 2-Row Pale, Roast Barley, English Dark Caramel, Medium Caramel, Carafa Malt, Oats (15%)
hops
100% US Grown Fuggle Hops

I gave up going for the color they suggest and this is what I ended up with

5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 36.4 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 21.8 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 14.5 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 12.7 %
1 lbs Crystal, Extra Dark (Simpsons) (160.0 SRM) 7.3 %
12.0 oz British Crystal (75.0 SRM) 5.5 %
4.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) 1.8 %

41.77 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.7 IBUs
28.35 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.3 IBUs

Mashed 156 F 90 mins
WLP002

Anyway turned out really nice, lovely a smooth no harsh tastes at all, will defintely go for it again.

Is the full recipe instructions posted anywhere? I'm looking for the OG, FG, fermenting temps and how long. I don't see any of that info here.

My OG was 1.060 and FG 1.018 on the recipe above. I haven't recorded how long but usually I leave for 2 weeks in primary before kegging, just ambient which would have been mid 60's.

Had some commercial Velvet Merlin a few days ago and I'd say it was fairly close if anything mine was better

That's good to here DavidJP. I haven't had any of the commercial (everyone was out of stock) but I've been told it's great and if this recipe is better. WOW I really have to brew it now. Thanks for the info I will probably brew it this weekend.

Hi all (zombie thread etc etc),

I brewed a Merlin close (very similar recipe) and it ended up devoid of any taste. No roastiness, no stoutness, no body, hardly any aroma either. Any idea what could have went wrong?

Recipe was 5 gal:

WLP002 - English Ale Yeast
Magnum, 1 oz. 60 min
Thomas Fawcett - Maris Otter 2.49 7.5 lb
Flaked Oats 2.25 lb
Caramel 40L 0.5 lb
Dark Chocolate 0.5 lb
Roasted Barley 0.5 lb
Caramel 120L 0.25 lb

I don’t recall mash temp but it was around the 150s. One thing that did happen is we went from 6.5 gal to 4 during the boil. That boiler was going, apparently. Since our gravity shot up and we hadn’t made a proper starter, I opted to top up with cold water to 5 gal.

Back