First AG batch, short lag, short fermentation time, very cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeflow488

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just brewed my first AG batch using DeathBrewer's BIAB method - brewing was great. I did an IPA with an OG of about 1.063, right on the money with the recipe. Aerated, pitched yeast (which was California Ale by WL, on a starter for 24 hrs, had a good amount) into my new 6.5 gal carboy for primary. Now, this is the first time I'm using a see-through vessel, so I'm seeing everything that's going on.

I had an extremely short lag time, within ~5 hrs or so, and fermentation was strong for about 24-36 hrs. A nice head of Krausen was built up, which was awesome, but within the 36 hour mark, this fell back in. Now, I'm not seeing much activity (one bubble every 30 sec or so) and I know that airlock activity isn't a good way to judge fermentation time, but I need your opinions. I would take a gravity reading, but I'd like to wait a bit longer before I open it up and have to re-sanitize everything.

Another thing is that my beer is very cloudy. There was A LOT of initial sediment that was suspended in the wort after cooling, and this unfortunately made it into my carboy for fermentation. The now fermenting wort/beer is extremely cloudy, with a yellow color. It looks very thick and starchy. I don't know how else to describe it.

Anyways, sorry for my wall of text, but I was wondering if anyone else had this sort of 'issue' with their batches. Am I paranoid, or is this normal for AG BIAB rather than what I am used to (extract)?

The yellow stuff is just trub. It will settle out if you let it.

Let it sit in primary for at least 3 weeks and your beer will clear nicely.

Latest posts

Back