Cider problem (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

Reaction score
I'm trying to make my first batch of cider, and on Wednesday I added 5 campden tablets (crushed) to 5 gallons of freshly pressed juice. On Thursday I added 1.5kg of sugar and on Friday I added 1 sachet of cider yeast. Not much was happening but by yesterday there was bubbling/foam appearing on the surface of the juice. However, today, it's pretty much gone.

I let some out to test the gravity, and it hasn't changed from when I pitched the yeast. Have I blown it or is it just taking a while to get started?

I don't use camden (my lady is allergic to sulfites), but isn't that way too much? It is possible that the yeast just can't do anything with all that sulfur in there.

I don't think there is anything wrong. I've had ciders that made a big krausen and ciders that sat there without moving a drop. They all fermented just fine.

It could be that your yeast is taking a day or two to reproduce before they start the party. If all else fails, you can repitch in a few days if it doesn't take off.

I usually let it set for 48 hours before adding my yeast. Also I "wake up" the yeast by pouring some warm water in a bowl and mixing the dry yest into it. After it starts showing some life, I add a cup, or so, of the cider to the yeast and let it get a start on feeding. I usually take an hour or two for this step, then pitch the whole bowl into the cider. My current batch fermented from 1.065 to 1.002 in 5 days at room temp (70*F).

Well after a couple of weeks, I think it's finished. The airlock isn't bubbling anymore (it was bubbling at 3-4 per minute for a while) and I've just tested the gravity and it's gone from 1060 at the beginning to 1036. This still seems quite high and whilst it tastes really nice, I was hoping for something with a bit more kick to it. Is there anything I can do, or is this normal?

Give it time. I just brewed my first as well and it appeared to be stuck at around 1.030 (after 1 week) so I left it another week and it is now at 1.010 and there was no airlock activity during that entire second week (but there were small carbonation bubbles the entire time).

Have you added any yeast nutrient? Cider is nutrient deficient for yeasts... your microbes might need a little help metabolizing the remaining sugars.

Give it time. I just brewed my first as well and it appeared to be stuck at around 1.030 (after 1 week) so I left it another week and it is now at 1.010 and there was no airlock activity during that entire second week (but there were small carbonation bubbles the entire time).

I think you might be right - I checked again yesterday and the SG has dropped to somewhere between 1020 and 1030. I'll leave it another week and check it again then.

Back