just wheat vs. flaked wheat vs. wheat malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
As the title of this thread indicates, I am trying to find the difference between the 3. I have been grain brewing for a couple of years now, but have little experience with wheat. I'm looking to make a Belgian wit and wanted to know the primary difference between the three types of wheat I have seen at my LHBS.

Any thoughts about their appropriate usage and what I can expect when dealing with them in large amounts (50% or more of my total grist) would be appreciated.

For that matter, is there a place on line where I can find out more about the various grains and adjuncts and what their most appropriate contributing attributes are? Kind of a "one stop shopping" list?

I think white wheat is preferred over red, but i might have that backwards, actually I probably do.

Also I dont see anything in the wiki about that but I could just be failing at using the search function.

I have found that red provides a better wheat flavor. Use as much as you like, I often do a 100% wheat grist with great conversion and no sticking sparge.

Back