My first AG - Excellent Experience!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
My first AG experiece started Christmas morning when I was given a gift certificate to my closest real HBS, 2 1/2 hours away. I picked up enough grain to do a batch of APA similar to the one talked about in UNOmar's "House Pale Ale" thread. Here was the grain bill:

8 3/4# 2 row Pale Malt
2# Vienna
1/2# Crystal 20L
1/2 oz. Northern Brewer (60 min)
1/2 oz. Cascade (30 min)
1/4 oz. Cascade (15 min)
1/4 oz. Cascade (Flame Out)
1/4 oz. Northern Brewer (Flame Out)
Wyeast 1056 recycled from last batch.

Strike with 17 quarts (1.5 qt/lb) @ 165 F
Sparge with 4 gallons @ 170

Yesterday I made a starter with 8 oz. XLDME and 1 3/4 quarts of water in a 1/2 gallon container. Blew the top off in 8 hours. Today was perfect. 11 hours playing with my 7 month old, followed by a nice dinner and a 4 year old bottle of wine with my wife, then Brew Time! But wait, an old friend calls as I am filling my buckets and he is an hour away and dropping in to say hi. Better yet, he spent a year living with a Brewing Science major in college and has lots of experience. Perfect!

The first burner was lit at 7:10 to preheat my cooler, and all went well. Grain bed was right at 153F after the first stir. (Thanks Beersmith!) I only lost about a degree or two in the hour of mashing.

Boiling went well, but I forgot :mug: (too many of those) the Irish Moss in the boil. The new home made immersion chiller got the temp down to 75F in 18 minutes, and the yeast was pitched 4 hours 15 minutes after the burner was lit.

Had 3 hours of good conversation, and a sampling of brews from the previous batches.

Final results:

4 3/4 gallons of wort, plus the 1 3/4 quarts of starter was just right.

Efficiency was 69.3%. I was hoping for 70%, but I am not at all displeased. OG was 1.054.

Now, hopefully my keg system will be here and set up before this batch is out of the secondary!!!

Awesome Wables!

I did my first AG yesterday also, a nut brown ale which was bubbling like crazy 3 hours after pitch. Maybe a pale ale is up next. Congrats and good luck with the next one. If you are like me that next one will come very quickly!

Great job!
I think if you bump your sparge water up it will increase your efficiency. I use 1/2 gallon per pound of grain. This would put your recipe at roughly 5 1/2 gallons of sparge water, :mug:

RichBrewer said:
Great job!
I think if you bump your sparge water up it will increase your efficiency. I use 1/2 gallon per pound of grain. This would put your recipe at roughly 5 1/2 gallons of sparge water, :mug:

Um, huh? If you're shooting for a 5 or 6 gallon batch, how do you reconcile 5.5gals from the sparge water alone? I used 3 gallons, and my efficiency was 72% (I also did my first AG, on Friday).

RichBrewer said:
Great job!

Yeah, my sg at the end of the sparge was 1.012 (without temperature correction). Next time I am going to drop my infusion to 1.25 qt/# and sparge more.

Back