Selling Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selling or Homebrewing... looks like we all need to be licensed. Ooops! Maybe that's why there is nobody here from south dakota?

Classification of License Basic Fee Classification of Municipalities
Manufacturer - Malt Beverage $500.00
Wholesaler - Malt Beverage $400.00
Off-Sale - Package Malt Beverage $200.00***
On & Off-sale - Retailer Malt Beverage $300.00***
Off-Sale Malt Beverage & Farm Winery Wine $225.00***
Transfer Fee $150.00***
*** 50% of malt beverage license fees to be retained at local level (50% to be forwarded to the Department of Revenue & Regulation)

Laws of South Dakota

Definition
Examples of Malt Beverage Manufacturers
Malt Beverage Manufacturers
Who Needs a License
Anyone who manufacturers malt beverages within the State of South Dakota.
Laws
The department encourages applicants to review the laws that apply to this license.
Fees
The malt beverage (manufacturer) license fee is $500.00, payable to the South Dakota Department of Revenue & Regulation. No county or city fees apply to this license.
Additional Information
The license limits manufacturers from producing more than 5,000 barrels per year.
Manufacturers may only sell the malt beverages they manufacture unless additional licenses are received from their local governing body.
How to Apply?
The department requires applications to be submitted via regular postal mail with all applicable fees. Address the envelope to:
South Dakota Department of Revenue & Regulation

Attn: Special Taxes

445 East Capitol Avenue

Pierre, SD 57501-3185
Great News, Looks like license is only $500 O

I'm going to research this and get back to you...

Does anyone here sell thier brew or is everyone just producing for themselves, friends and relatives?:off:

A license to sell would be required. The local and state level permits aren't that much of a pain to obtain; really, it's the IRS and ATF that make things more than unneccessarily difficult.

In Massachusetts a farmer-brewer and farmer-vinter permits are cheap money to obtain. I'd say this is only about 1 of 3 things that are actually done correctly in the 'Gay' State. Still, the federal boys are a pain.

I love how old threads come back from the dead...

Interestingly enough I asked a friend of the family cop about the laws here, and he said there is no particular limit. I haven't researched it myself, but mostly because nobody cares.

Back