Batting .500?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
First year hop farmer, and I planted two rhizomes on 4/11. Magnum has about five sprouts up almost 2" above ground already. Cascade hasn't budged; I even uncovered to peek. Nothing looks alive. My plan is to give it another week but I am not optimistic. Any ideas?

Different hops have different growing rates and different harvest times. If you had one Zeus 6' tall and a second Zeus 2' tall, I'd say you have a problem. 2"! Relax, the season is young. Amend your soil, keep them wet (but don't drown them), worry senselessly.

Agreed, this is my first season. Planted Cascade, Chinook, and Northern Brewer on 4/1/2010. Cascade came up on 4/10, Northern Brewer on 4/16, and haven't seen Chinook. Only one bine on each. I'm not worried.

When I think about it, last year Chinook was my slowest grower and last to blossom. There was a point when I thought, "No Chinook" this year. My Chinook yielded late and it was my most bountiful hop. Give it time.

I had the same issue, I planted mine a while ago, and thought my chinooks were gone, but went outside yesterday and they are just starting to poke their head out.

My Goldings took two months to sprout but it's a very healthy plant now. Just keep watering (but not over watering) and let them do their thing.

Not really here to offer any advice but oddly enough, 3 years ago I bought a magnum and a cascade. Magnum grew quickly and pretty well. Cascade never came up. Bought another Cascade last year. Nada. Just weird that we ordered the same hop rhizomes and the same thing may happen...
:confused:

Back