Strong Medicine taste & WL 830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellshooter

Reaction score
Background: Ok, I guess I'm not a novice since I have brewed 115 gallons in 2009. I am a kit brewer and the last 7 or 8 brews have been mini mash kits from AHS. I have always used Iodophor for sanitation and rinsed with tap water. My favorite so far is the AHS Premium lager kit and I have brewed that one 8 times. It always turns out great. The last 5 of these I used WL 840 slants that I had frozen using the Country Wines "Yeast Bank". I have two carboys of that in my lager chamber right now, and haven't had a chance to taste them.
My slant procedure is to make a starter with light DME and collect part of the slant for freezing instead of washing the yeast in the carboy.

To the problem: Last night I tapped my fresh keg of North German Pilsner that had been brewed with the same procedures (mini mash from AHS) and nearly choked. The medicine taste was so strong that I still remember it well this morning. I also have a keg of AHS Amber Bock mini mash that has a strong cinammon taste. I had never made either of these brews before. After reviewing the ingredients and procedures, the only common denominator I can find is the use of WL 830 yeast. The Amber Bock was made from a fresh vial and the German Pilsner was made from a slant off that starter.

I guess my questions are: Did I somehow infect the original starter and carry it over to the second brew? (this is where I'm leaning). Is there any chance the beer will get better (4th week)? Is a thorough review of my procedures in order?

If the medicinal flavor you are pertaining to is bandaidy then it is a phenol issue stemming from a couple of different reasons. Could be a bit of chlorine from tap water, could be from yeast stress. I had this issue with a couple of batches. I have since purchase Potassium Dimetabisulfite and with any tap water used (usually for rinsing) I use 1/4 tsp to clear out any Chloramines that can cause Bandaid.

Not a fun thing to be drinking. Won't hurt you, just won't taste at all good. Getting rid of 5 gals of the stuff is a tuff pill to swallow, dumping or drinking. Unfortunately bandaids will hang around forever, so no waiting this evil out.

Good luck.

WW

The taste is more like strong dry cough syrup. No tap water used other than rinsing, and everything was drained prior to use. Never had this problem before, other than the mentioned cinammon off flavor.

Back