Into the pot she went - Honey Chamomile Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
Since the wife loves me so much, she took the kids early to the inlaws, so that I can make a wheat, and she can have grains for bread and rolls for turkey day dinner!

One question, has anyone made spent grain bread with rice hulls. I had a pound in the mix so as not to have any stuck sparges.

Beersmith report as follows:

honey wheat
Weizen/Weissbier

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/21/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Lucas
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Turkey Fryer / Igloo cooler
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes: Specialy hefe

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 7.14 %
8 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 57.14 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 lb Chamomile flowers (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 tsp Fenugreek tea (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 7.14 %
5.00 gal San Jose Water
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) [Starter 400 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.42 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 13.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.75 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 2.4 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 38.0 F Age for: 7.0 days
Storage Temperature: 38.0 F

Spent grain bread? Do a lot of people do this? Cause I've been considering it, but wasn't sure. My real question though is Fenugreek tea? Seeds or leaves? I have used both in cooking, and the seeds frankly scare me a little... really pungent (bordering on stinky) and exotic spice that I can't see working in beer, and the leaves are more of a subtle thing. I'm interested in how it works, intrigued really. Have you done this recipe before?

I've never thought of reusing the grain, but wouldn't most of the nutritional value be drained out by the sparging?

Spent grain bread? Do a lot of people do this? Cause I've been considering it, but wasn't sure. My real question though is Fenugreek tea? Seeds or leaves? I have used both in cooking, and the seeds frankly scare me a little... really pungent (bordering on stinky) and exotic spice that I can't see working in beer, and the leaves are more of a subtle thing. I'm interested in how it works, intrigued really. Have you done this recipe before?

Ive done this recipe before and everyone LOVED this hefe! The only difference is that Im doing it AG now, as opposed to extract before.

Cheers

:tank:

Ive done this recipe before and everyone LOVED this hefe! The only difference is that Im doing it AG now, as opposed to extract before.

Cheers

:tank:

was it a tea made from fenugreek leaves or a "spice tea" from the seeds? I dida honey wheat last summer w/ chamomile and a similar hop profile. It got good reviews and a lot of my friends noted a cinnamon flavour though there was no cinnamon. I wonder if fenugreek leaves would bring this out more?

Yes. Sub it in for a portion of the flour. It makes great bread. I get some residual sweetness, a nuttiness, and a (dare I say buttload?!?! of) fiber.

Also good in dog biscuits.

Commercially, 5 seasons brewery here in Atlanta serves spent grain bread in their restaurant. It is great.

was it a tea made from fenugreek leaves or a "spice tea" from the seeds? I dida honey wheat last summer w/ chamomile and a similar hop profile. It got good reviews and a lot of my friends noted a cinnamon flavour though there was no cinnamon. I wonder if fenugreek leaves would bring this out more?

What I use is a fenugreek tea. Its actually sold as a breastfeeding supplement for nursing mothers.

Cheers

I've never thought of reusing the grain, but wouldn't most of the nutritional value be drained out by the sparging?

My thoughts were that some nice yeast nutrition might help the overall bread and the added fibre and texture would be kinda interesting, but I've never tried it before.

So I did a taste test today, to see how this is turning out, and it definitely has a chamomile and wheat initial taste, follwed up by a licorice aftertaste. Dont know what I think yet, as my initial feeling is that I used to much fenugreek.

We'll see how carbonation makes this one taste in a few weeks!

Color is amazing..... straw pale yellow/gold!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back