Stainless Chiller vs Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I'm ordering a wort chiller today from Midwest and am probably going to go with the Super Efficient Copper Chiller with garden hose connection for $75. I was wonder what the difference between the stainless & copper is? Does the copper cool faster and also does anyone know why that one is super efficient because it looks just like the others? To be honest most of them look the same to me.

Super Efficient Immersion Wort Chiller :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Stainless is less pliable so it will flex less. And you pay more for it. Past that...copper is a better conductor, so it's more effective at chilling.

I use copper. No reason not to.

Oh, and I have no idea what this "proprietary water turbulation technology" is...the only thing i can think of is that there's some kind of insert in the tubing that causes the water to "swirl" as it goes through the tubing, exposing more of it to the tubing wall. But that's just my guess. I'd also guess that it's a gimmick that doesn't really do anything meaningful.

For an immersion chiller copper is a very good conductor of heat transfer. Stainless is not a good conductor of heat transfer. Some people may differ, this just my opinion.
Check out the link: Conduction Even though they are both metals and most metals are able to transfer heat efficiently.

Some things to think about when ordering. Stainless looks nice but is it cost effective? For now copper prices have fallen enough to be cost effective even if you want to make your own. Copper does tarnish over time if not brewed with often. Stainless, well.... it's stainless; cleans up great and looks great. Any way that's my $.02 worth.

Thanks for the info, I’m fine with giving the copper a little more TLC since it works better. I love Midwest’s site I just wished they would give a little more info on why one piece of equipment is better than another. I’m too lazy to build one as well, that and my tools a slightly better than Playschool quality.

I might give them a call to find out about the “proprietary water turbulation technology”. One reason I’ve never used a wort chiller (just do extract with 4 gallon boils) is the amount of water you just waste if you don’t capture it and reuse.

As the previous posters have mentioned, Copper is a much better thermal conductor than stainless steel. Thats why we use copper spreaders on heat sinks. Stainless Steel is a much less efficient thermal conductor copper.

Thermal Conductivity or Heat Transfer Coefficient in (W/mK)
(1 W/(mK) = 1 W/(moC) = 0.85984 kcal/(hr moC) = 0.5779 Btu/(ft hr oF))

Material/Substance.................Temperature (oC)
.........................................25....... 125....... 225
---------------------------------------------------
Copper...............................401..... 400........398
Stainless Steel.....................16........17..........19

As you can see above Copper blows the doors off of Stainless Steel for thermal conduction.

Just remember most of the resistance in the heat transfer is in the CONVECTION. The conduction through the metal is a small part of the resistance to heat transfer.

Note the similarities in transfer coefficient (this is taking into account conduction and convection) between the copper and steel.

IMO, either chiller is just fine. My stainless cools very well.

EDIT: I should add that the chart is for still fluids (not quite still because of movement due to temperature differences). With the water moving inside as well as some stirring, the convective resistance will lower. It stands to reason that the difference between the the two styles would increase (favoring copper more) because the conduction would be a little bit larger part of the total resistance.

One reason I’ve never used a wort chiller (just do extract with 4 gallon boils) is the amount of water you just waste if you don’t capture it and reuse.

That is the primary reason behind using plate or CFC. Both use a lot less water.

Also, check your local Craigslist for wort chillers. I know mine has at least one a week (but they go quick) and for relatively cheap. Albeit, I realized that after buying mine, oops. Also, often Craigslist also has some good deals on brew kits or various brew pieces.

Why not consider building your own IMWC?! The price of copper has leveled off quite a bit since a year ago. I recently "upgraded" and made my own IMWC from 3/8" copper tubing. I don't know if you are a DIY'er but it may reduce your cost so that hard earned money can be spent elsewhere (grain, yeast, hops, etc..).

What can I say! I'm a FRUGAL FREAK!

hammacks is correct. The conductivity of the metal is not very important in our situation. The fluid flow inside and outside the coil and the temperature of the cooling fluid is WAY more important. You may need an extra minute for cooling if you use SS but I doubt it is even that big of a difference.

Also, I am quite sure the turbulence technology is just a wire or similar on the inside of the tube to ensure a turbulent interior flow. In a 3/8" the flow will already be turbulent at the radius of the coil so it won't make a significant difference.

That is a good find, I have a $75 GC to Midwest from the mother-in-law which is why i was going to go with the pricey one. I'm getting this and a false bottom for my keg to try my hand at all grain.

The super efficient chiller from midwest has a ribbon of copper inside the tube. I called to ask, just had to know.

Could this this extra friction help at all?

I’m pretty worthless when it comes to understanding the mechanics of things, but I’m going to order it tonight and brew this weekend so if it comes in time I’ll let you know.

The ribbon is to cause a turbulent flow. Turbulent flows have higher convection than gentle (what is called laminar) flows.

The flow inside a 3/8" tube wrapped that tight will already be turbulent. Any added turbulence do to the ribbon or wire will be insignificant and not add any appreciable chilling capacity. Unless you are flowing your cooling water extremely slow...

Sorry, this one may not have been worth it for you. I thought I tried to say that in post #9. Oh well. I am sure you will be happy with it, and the ribbon cannot hurt anything.

The flow inside a 3/8" tube wrapped that tight will already be turbulent. Any added turbulence do to the ribbon or wire will be insignificant and not add any appreciable chilling capacity. Unless you are flowing your cooling water extremely slow...

Sorry, this one may not have been worth it for you. I thought I tried to say that in post #9. Oh well. I am sure you will be happy with it, and the ribbon cannot hurt anything.

I think we got ya. I was just pointing out its designed purpose.

Back