Temp of room and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have two kitchens in my house. One of them will be my home brewery.

The kitchen, however, stays pretty warm here in Texas...usually between 75-80 degrees. If I keep my fermenter in temperatures that warm will it have a bad affect on my beer?

Any help you can provide would be great!

Hunter

Temps that high will generally result in a more estery beer which may not be desirable. It is, however, quite yeast strain dependent. The bulk of the ale strains would be very happy ~68F, but I ferment 72-74F in the summer without it bothering me too much.

I'm thinking of experimenting with some Belgian yeast strains this summer as my house heats up which apparently do quite well in the 75-80F range, and there are even commercial Belgian breweries that ferment at those temps in the summer.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I may take some steps to shade the windows and crank the heck out of the A/C druing fermentation to keep the temperature down...either that or fill the carboy in a cooler room during the fermentation process.

Based on what I read in another post, there shouldn't be too much of a problem in moving the carboy when it comes time to put the beer in the priming bucket before bottling.

Still having first-time brewer's jitters! I haven't actually started the brew yet...just making sure the nursery for my baby's all set!

Hunter

Frankly, it's harder to screw up than people think, though there are many ways to incrementally improve your process and get incrementally better beer.

My wife keeps the house warm in the summer, but by placing my fermentor directly on a vent in a closet it stays 70-72F which is a little higher than I want, but I'm making beer and nobody's complaining.

I always wind up moving my vessels when racking...just move it a day or some hours before racking which will give anything roused up a chance to settle out again.

In a lot of styles you won't notice the effects of warmer temperatures. If you stick to very clean fermenting yeasts (safale56 is a good one), you shouldn't have much trouble. If you have A/C in the house, it should pull the humidity down enough that you could use the damp towel trick to bring the fermenter down to 72F.

The Brown I have fermenting ran up to 81F last night. The room was much cooler, but the yeasts got too happy. It's down to 71F now. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back