HELP!!! I need juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyswrt

Reaction score
I am getting married in June of next year and I am planning on making some pear cider for the wedding but I am having a hard time finding somewhere to get a large amount of good pear juice. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Woody :drunk:

Hey...That's going to cost more than the Honey Moon!
Could you do an Apfelwein type wine and then add a bucket load of diced pears and secondary for a few weeks then rack, bulk age till clear, then bottle?
Maybe a little Pear Extract at bottle time too.

hahah, you've got some time to get things together. but your original post has this "holy s#it, i procrastinated and now i'm getting married in a month and a i need a beer/cider" kind of attitude. which REALLY cracks me up.

hahah, you've got some time to get things together. but your original post has this "holy s#it, i procrastinated and now i'm getting married in a month and a i need a beer/cider" kind of attitude. which REALLY cracks me up.
He's getting married next June, he's got a year to brew for it.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I have found pear juice but it is unbelievably expensive. About $9 for 32oz and I need enough for about 200 people. I think I am going to have to do some more research and take some of the advise given and see what I come up with.
Thanks again,
Woody

Forrest,

With that product you sent a link for - can I just use the ingredients for 2 gallons of Edwort's Apfelwein and ferment it all together?

:tank:

Are you really into pear? Pear doesn't have alot of flavor on its own. You would think it would, but doesn't seem to when made into wine. Also, pear is very very cloudy. Its hard to get a good clear pear wine without fining and filtering it. I realize you are making a cider, but pear will probably be so cloudy it would look unappetizing. Just an idea.

I personally think you would be better off with cider. Or, you could add blueberries to it, or raspberries to give it a special flavor.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey thanks for the advice. I will think it through and let everyone know what I decide on

Two options:

Find a neaarby orchard and ask them if you can have the bruised ones that they can't sell elsewhere, then build/borrow a cider press.

Make Apfelwein and add a pear extract.

I am getting married in June of next year and I am planning on making some pear cider for the wedding but I am having a hard time finding somewhere to get a large amount of good pear juice. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Woody :drunk:

Hi Woody: If you simply MUST make perry and can't find the juice thru a cannery or packing house, try "Vinter's Harvest Fruit Bases" available via www.midwestsupplies.com I've never used the product, but they DO have pear fruit base in 10lb. cans & they come with 3 & 5 gallon yield recipes. I'm NOT trying to plug their biz, just trying to help a guy out. Regards, GF. :)

Back