Beers for an August wedding in PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
I have been tasked with selecting commercial offerings to satisfy the palettes of the nuptial attendees and I do not take this responsibility lightly. While I could opt for the easy route and choose beers of which I am familiar with on this coast, that would violate my principles and ethics as they pertain to regional identity and local flavor. As such, I want to find the regional beers of PA since the wedding will take place in Lewisburg (I do like the idea of Bucknell Brown had home brewing been an option!). Further, I will be marrying into this same family in October (the sister of the groom is my fiancé), so I need to bring my "A" game and solidify my standing as a man who knows beer. I have heard good things about Victory and Troegs as a whole, but am hoping to winnow my options down to select delicious, readily-available (seasonal is ok as long as you can find it in the Beer Barn) options that fulfill certain criteria as a whole.

I cannot assume that everyone is as open-mined as myself when it comes to styles, so I need to cover my bases and provide a cross-section of beers that will satisfy a wide audience in the summer weather (I assume it will be warm). Hence, looking for a drinkable pale ale, which allows for a more aggressively-flavored IPA, then something more a a summer seasonal be it a pilsner, kolsch, or blonde. I would love to find a nice wit/hef/saison as they bring a little more character from the yeast and are some of my personal warm-weather favorites. There will be Yuengling to satisfy the locals, which I am told is an amber/red lager (I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!).

I think of this as being akin to selecting a fantasy football team, and hope that you would find the same level of fun as myself. Which brews would you pick to fill the positions described below?

1. PA
2. IPA (not really looking for any over 8.5% abv)
3. Pilsner/Blonde/Kolsch
4. Wit/Hef/Saison
5. Yuengling is locked in

I really appreciate your input. All this typing about beer has made me quite thirsty!

Cheers!

I'd go:

1. Amber or Brown ale
2. IPA in the 6.5-7% ABV range
3. Centennial Blonde
4. American Wheat or Hefe
5. good choice!

Here's what comes to mind:

1. English Mild - Yards Brawler
2. IPA - Sly Fox 113 IPA
3. Pilsner/Blonde/Kolsch - Victory Prima Pils
4. Wit/Hef/Saison - Stoudts Hefe
5. Yuengling is locked in

If it were my wedding I'd probably also have a few higher octane non-IPAs on hand. Something from the Weyerbacher lineup or maybe Troegs Troegenator.

Back