Basement Brew House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang! Nice room. I hope to do something similar for my reloading so I can keep it locked up and away. Good job

I really wish I was handy enough to construct something like this myself. Looks like you knew what you were doing with the electrical work and plumbing. I'm glad you had safety in mind! This looks fantastic!

My biggest annoyance right now with brewing is my limited space. I've got my condo so crammed full of beer stuff that it's starting to look more like a nano brewery than an abode. Hopefully one day I can get a dedicated space for my equipment like you've got going.

Wow, this is now my aspiration in life: To have a self-built room for man-hobbies.
I applaud you, sir :mug:

dude I cant count the days intel i get to dedicate a hole room to my set up. congrats, but a little fyi . I notice that your burners were mounted to galvanized steel strut .That stuff is poisonous when heated . you may wont to rethink that one .

dude I cant count the days intel i get to dedicate a hole room to my set up. congrats, but a little fyi . I notice that your burners were mounted to galvanized steel strut .That stuff is poisonous when heated . you may wont to rethink that one .

Yes it does give off gas when heated to high temperature (such as when welded) The structure gets warm but only gets hot is a few places but not hot enough to give off fumes. The same metal is used in propane barbeques I am pretty sure its okay as long as I am not getting it super hot. Thanks for the heads up though.

Yes there is a sink with hot/cold water drains into a portable tank that I can wheel into the yard to water grass, garden, hops. Will eventually connect a sump pump to it to pump it out side as a watering system for my hops.

Given some of the rentals I lived in going to school there, this is an engineering marvel and constructed way beyond the normal for the area. :) But that was way back in the days of the Alibi and the Creek saloon.

Seriously though, good work.

Jumping in late on the thread but do you have a CO monitor as well? You have exhaust but also need make up air coming in to completely turnover the space the necessary times to keep it safe.

Yes there is fresh air in. A 4 inch vent from the outside with an in line fan moves 80 CFM into the room. I figure the air changes every 3 to 5 minutes. I have CO monitor and an explosive gas monitor and a large fire extinguisher.

For Christmas I got a new fan... 6 inch in line 400 CFM now the brew room is too small for such a big fan I had to expand it.

So where my bottle shelf was I cut a hole in the wall and trimmed it out and when it warms up a little I will paint it.

1229121525a.jpg

Now my old shelves look pretty bare, but better organized and room to keep my flow through chiller in the brew room. Plus I can now bottle and brew at the same time. A few more pics:

1229121525.jpg

1229121526.jpg

1229121528.jpg

Now this is what I need when the Mrs and myself get our own place.

Great build mate. A proper little man/brew cave! You should have a TV in there though! ;)

Wow.. was looking to convert the room in my garage.. definitely have something to shoot for ;)

a brewing room? Kitchen is good for that. Turn it into a bar! :D

Just outside the brew room is the pool table
(true competition 4ft by 8 ft) where I will build the bar and maybe someday when some one on HBT convinces me that force carbonating is better than natural bottle conditioning I will add through the wall taps.

Just outside the brew room is the pool table
(true competition 4ft by 8 ft) where I will build the bar and maybe someday when some one on HBT convinces me that force carbonating is better than natural bottle conditioning I will add through the wall taps.
do the natural bottle thing in the keg and let that sit for a couple of weeks before you chill and serve.

The first few pictures were a bit odd in that the wall studs and ceiling joists look like they are mixed spacing and sometimes up to 46 inches on center. It's not really my cup of tea to do such things but the drywall is up and the train has left the station.

There are people that use propane tanks inside the house and those that warn them against it. You're going to do what you're going to do but I'm glad people voiced their concerns.

I think that brew space can really benefit from an electric conversion.

Agreed

Have not got the sink installed yet because I need to solve the drain issue since there is no drain in the basement and need a pump system for it.

I had the same issue and finally routed it into the clean out valve on the main stack. Bottom left corner of the picture. I did install a check valve to ensure that no sewer gas could escape.

1294342_10200435492158887_1592390370_o_zps998a0ada.jpg

Awesome build! As a new brewer this is very cool to see and helping to start thinking about the future upgrades to come! Thanks!

Back