Cool Beer History Encountered at Work (GIS): George Washingtons Grist Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
So my project for the summer is to go through and classify all the buildings in our county for an international collaberative mapping effort. While working on the project a few minutes ago, I came across a set of buildings called "George Washington's Grist Mill". It certainly caught my eye and a quick google showed me it is indeed part of the original Distilling and Brewing site on George Washinton's Mt. Vernon plantation that is still in operation today.

I thought it was pretty cool and a nice note to lighten my friday afternoon at work!

Grist Mill.jpg

grist mill2.jpg

They actually had an entire building run by water-wheel just to grind the grains for his ales and whiskeys. It makes me realize how much I take for granted the modern brewing practices! ...Like hooking up my drill to a mill and being done with it in 45 seconds!

The distillery was restored a few years ago to once again market his Rye Whiskey. It isn't cheap,but supposed to be quite good. He just loved the stuff so much,Martha made him "whiskey cake" with it.
Pretty sure I still have the recipe in one of my Frugal Gourmet books. And others of Martha's recipes,like peanut soup.

Yup, they opperate the distillery as a recreation and sell the rye for (I think) $125 per 1/5th.

And the cake sounds delicious, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the whiskey to make it :D

It'd also be cool if they showed how to brew that small beer from the hand-written recipe showed on here recently. It'd give a clearer picture of how it was made.

Back