Storing Hops from hops direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
I just recieved my hops from Hopsdirect and they came in a silver bag. I want to store them and i am not sure how. I bought some zip lock baggies for freezing and was hoping that would be efficient enough to store for about 3 months. Also should i jsut leave them in the silver bag until i begin to use the hops or should i freeze them asap?

I keep them frozen in the silver bag until I first use them, then use the little Vacuum Zip-loc bags to keep them in the freezer until they're all used up.

That zip-loc vacuum thing sucks, and not the good kind of suck. ;)

After a few uses it stopped working very efficiently, I can get more air out of the bag by leaving a small opening at the top and sucking the air out with my mouth before sealing. A freezer bag will be just fine for several months if you can get the majority of the air out.

I just bought a used Food Saver and one roll of bags off of Craigs List for $25.

+1 for using the iron to seal up the silver bag they came in.

No steam, medium heat, and run the iron over the edge for a few seconds to seal. Just be sure to cut only the smallest amount off the bag the next time you open it so you can re-seal.

When we sell to homebrewers, they are packaged in one pound vacuum sealed bags. +1 for the Foodsaver! Re-using the bag and vacuum sealing your hops would be the best bet, then storing them in the freezer.

That zip-loc vacuum thing sucks, and not the good kind of suck. ;)

After a few uses it stopped working very efficiently, I can get more air out of the bag by leaving a small opening at the top and sucking the air out with my mouth before sealing. A freezer bag will be just fine for several months if you can get the majority of the air out.

I've been using the ziplock vacuum bags like this for a while to store left over hops and other brewing herbs Iincluding bulk hops from HopsDirect, and I've never had a problem with them...I've reused the bags several times, and I've never lost a seal or had a bag "recompress" on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back