Hobby or Job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobby or Job

• Hobby

• Hobby(maybe a job in the future)

• Job right now

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hobby. And I intend to keep it that way. Best way to ruin a good hobby is to turn it into a job IMO. :) I would however work for a brewery, just not as a brewer.

How many of you brew just as a hobby and how many of you do this for a career in a brewery? If you do it just as a hobby, would you ever want to take it another step and try and open up a brewery? I'm just a beginner and have a longggg way to go but I think it would be awesome to one day have my own small brewery...

Hobby only forever. I know too much about commercial brewing to want to do it for a job. And why would I want to ruin a great hobby?

I still consider going pro from time to time. The trouble I have, though, is that the only way I see it actually working out is to go the brewpub route and I don't have much of an interest in running the restaurant side of the house. If I can find an experience restauranteur who wouldn't mind teaming with an inexperienced brewhouse owner/operator, I'd be all for it, but that's a pretty tall order.

I started working at a LHBS back in July. So "brewing" isn't my job technically. I love working there. Being around people with similar interests all day is awesome. With wine season in full swing and working at the shop around 60hrs/week, I haven't had time to really brew anything at home which is really making me sad. I've learned more about everything fermentable in the last 3 months than I did in the last 5 years of homebrewing. I'm making the best beers of my life every batch and now I don't have time to make more. It's frustrating but I wouldn't change anything. I'm excited to start making wine next week. Gonna take a shot at 30 gallons of wine this season...

I brew as a hobby but it would be cool to turn it into a career and open a brewery. I've had people say it would be cool to open a brewery or brewpub. but they're all a bunch of slackers I'd never go into business with. They're interested in brewing until they find out that it's actually work.

I'd never want to brew for a paycheck. I'd rather have brewing be the thing I look forward to after a long work week, not the work week itself.

Hey Gitmoe, sounds like we're in the same situation. It's pretty cool. In the St Louis area, the local grape harvest came in early (chambourcin, norton, foch, and a couple others). Therefore, we're finished with the crazy run on winemaking supplies and back to business as usual with wine kits, beer kits, and lots and lots of grain for eager brewers that were waiting for the weather to get nice to resume brewing.

Like you, I love being surrounded by home wine and beer making all the time. Working at the law office (my other part time job) is waaaay less fun.

I brew for a local micro, I volunteer my time (and skill :) ), he pays me in beer which is the best paycheck ever. It's only lost the fun factor for me a couple times and that's when a problem arises and I'm stuck there until 4 in the morning, like last Friday. After a few hours of sleep I was milling grain and making a yeast starter for a homebrew batch Sunday ;)

Started out as a hobby but I have been brewing at a local pub for a little over a year. We only brew once a week so it is majorly part time and I have a regular full time job, not in the industry.

I agree with yooper & some of you others insomuch as If it's a hobby,keep it that way. I too am retired from one job,& that was enough. I'm too old to haul 100lb sacks around all day,etc.
It's too easy to start hating your hobby if you make a job out of it. Then,as yooper says,you need to find a new hobby apart from your job.

Back