Looking for a recipe to a not so bitter English bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sathrovarr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe of a beer that will be nice to drink in the summer (not so bitter, and low abv).
I'm only set for extract brewing.
Does anyone made something like this?

How about an English Mild? It is the Bitter's non-bitter brother. I am getting ready to make Orfy's mild which is highly recommended. Here is the extract version:

US 5 Gallon - Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal

4.89 lb Light Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
0.91 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.28 lb Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 508.0 SRM
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
----------------------------
Notes:
------
A classic northern dark mild like my Granddad used to drink.

How about a can of prehopped lager LME (Coopers-Muntons-etc...) and a pound or so of dark DME. Maybe some dark brown sugar or molasses (4-8 ounces).

If you want a little extra body maybe 8 ounces of maltodextrin.

Very simple, all extract, low IBU, no need to add hops. This is no super complex ale, but is a basic easy to make brew. Not too high on the ABV (at least for me).
Boil it up, cool it, add a packet of yeast and in 2 weeks you can get it into bottles.

How about a can of prehopped lager LME (Coopers-Muntons-etc...) and a pound or so of dark DME. Maybe some dark brown sugar or molasses (4-8 ounces).

If you want a little extra body maybe 8 ounces of maltodextrin.

Very simple, all extract, low IBU, no need to add hops. This is no super complex ale, but is a basic easy to make brew. Not too high on the ABV (at least for me).
Boil it up, cool it, add a packet of yeast and in 2 weeks you can get it into bottles.

Funny I was thinking the same thing, I made the Coopers English Bitter kit and used 3lbs of DME it turned out great!

Easy to do from start to finish.. The OP seems to want something light on the hops, so I figured a can of hopped lager which most times has a good bit less hoppiness.

bosco

BigEd said:
Exactly. The actual bitterness is usually from the mid 20s to mid 30s IBU and balanced with a lovely malty body. A nice bitter is a thing of beauty.

Cheers to that! A well made bitter is good for any season.

Back