fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBandit

Reaction score
After cleaning and sanitizing my plastic fermentation bucket it still has a light beer smell. Will this affect the wine kit that I was planning on doing next? Thanks

My guess is that the "beer smell" is most likely hops, right? It might alter the taste. Try cleaning and rinsing again and letting it sit in the sun all day.

I get that residual smell from time to time with my buckets. My fix has been a 24 hour Oxiclean soak. If that doesn't work, I'll give it another 24 hours with PBW. I haven't had any trace of a smell after that.

Is it a good idea to use the buckets for both beer and wine? One of the LHBS i visit tells me to use separate, as they said the yeasts used in beer will kill the yeasts used for wine and vise versa....and my not work out if using the same buckets. I found it weird thinking that it wouldn't matter with a good cleaning, but hey, what do i know right? lol. I just nodded, agreed and walked away.....So any truth to what they told me? or were they just trying to get me to get another bucket? (which i didn't)...

Thanks for the input guys. I did the oxiclean soak for about 8 hours. It still has a beer or alcoholy smell. I'll try another soak and let it dry outside awhile.
As far as beer yeast killing wine yeast, after soaking in oxiclean and sanitizing I don't think there would be any yeast still alive.
Anthony

It isn't the yeast - your correct that they'll be dead - it's the off aromas and subsequent off flavors. I too use seperate fermentation pails for wine and beer.

The sun is your friend. He will help when chemicals fail. If you see him, set your pail out with just enough clean water in it to weigh it down.

The sun is your friend. He will help when chemicals fail. If you see him, set your pail out with just enough clean water in it to weigh it down.

but don't forget to wear some sunscreen - the sun isn't ALWAYS your friend :)

you can also try a strong household bleach solution (unscented of course)

fill to the the top of the bucket and let it soak for a few hours -then rinse thoughoughly with HOT water to nutralize the bleach. then let Mr. sun and Momma nature finish it off with a nice air dry.

Latest posts

Back