overcarbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a lager and bottled about 10 days ago, about every other bottle seems to volcano foam and when i tried to sip, it feels like a million tiny bubbles on the tongue. Can anyone tell me if they've seen this ?

What did you prime with, and how did you go about it?
Are you sure carbonation was completely finished before you bottled (if you did a proper lager this one is sort of obvious)?
Are there any bad flavours in the brew that might suggest this has been caused by an infection?

Your priming sugar and water were not mixed well in the beer before you started bottling.

I always advise to stir it in. Wait several minutes then stir again.

Fill about 6-10 bottles and re-stir. Fill another 6-10 bottles and re-stir. Repeat that process until all your bottles are filled. Your sugar and beer should be pretty well even throughout.

A lot of people do not prime properly, not that my process is the most proper. What I mean is have you ever tried to add sugar to cold tea? It doesn't mix well, drops to the bottom and does not get sweet.

To properly add sugar to tea it should be warm/hot before it mixes.

I have to disagree with Homebrewer 99's diagnosis... I don't trust him... I hear that he likes BUD LIGHT! Shhhh.... ;)

I advise that you boil the priming sugar in a cup or so of water. Not only does that knock down any nasties that may be living in your priming sugar, it also dissolves the priming sugar into a liquid. Its a lot easier to get a proper mixture when mixing liquids with liquids. (Unless you're talking about oil and water.)

I have two questions...

1) How much priming sugar did you use? 3/4 cup should be plenty for a 5 gallon batch.

2) Are you sure that the beer was finished fermenting when you bottled it? Many a brewer, (including myself... several times.) has bottled a incomplete batch of beer, only to have the entire batch turn into a couple cases of bottle bombs, or instant foam. "just pop the top and watch her go!!!"

The thing I have to add is that if after 10 days you're getting spumante you should be very careful of bottle bombs. I had the same thing happen with a batch and after about a month and a half I had one blow. Luckily, it was in a covered box.

You can either refrigerate them, which will greatly slow fermentation or you could put them in something that will stop the flying glass. And drink them up fast!

Back