I made a mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of_Beer

Reaction score
I brewed an extract/parital german lager yesterday and because of a strange set of circumstances I added too much water; the sg was supposed to be 1.047 and I ended up with 1.037!!! I said 'oh well' and pitched anyways; my question:

Can I now add more malt to get back to my original sg?

I don't know if I will do this even if someone says yes, but I was just wondering...

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, though you should boil it in water first. You can also add some sugar, though that won't taste as good.

If you leave it you will have basically a Mild. Though with a lager taste. Around 3-3.5 a/v. Will still be enourmously better than "light beer" megaswill!

I'm guessing the recipe was for 5 gallons and you topped up a 6.5 gallon primary which would bring the OG down form 1.047 to 1.037.

To bring the OG back up you'll need about 30oz (weight) of LME.

If you don't have room in the primary, then siphon a quart or so into a pot and boil with the LME (or DME) for 20minutes, cool, then add back to the primary.

Back