BIAB - Mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my second BIAB. During my mash out it reached 171 for a minute or two. As soon as I saw the temp hit 171 I took it off the burner
(burner was off but still warm)... I stirred a lot and poured in a
small amount of water. I did a good job controlling after this. Is
that 1-2 minutes going to harm the beer?

I heated up to 170 and let it mash for 10 minutes with the bag in the whole time. Is this the correct way? Can I just heat up from 154 to 170 in a 10 minutes period and call it good?

Keeping the bag off of the bottom of the pot, heat to 170. I stir while heating to make sure there is an even temperature distribution. When it hits 170, cover the pot, wrap with your insulation (or whatever you did during the mash), and wait 10 minutes. You want to make sure all the sugars are warm and flowing and you want to stop the enzyme action.

I use a steamer insert to keep the bag off the bottom. I saw that hint one one of these forums, maybe from Revvie, but I don't remember for sure.

170 is supposed to be the edge temperature at which you can extract tannin from your grain husks. A degree or two above should be no problem anyway but besides the temperature you have to have a high pH in your wort. I'd like to see you brew in a bag and get your wort to be alkaline. Mine is always acidic.

170 is supposed to be the edge temperature at which you can extract tannin from your grain husks

I've seen several controlled experiments that state that tannin extraction starts at 180F (mash temp, NOT wort temp), and takes a good 8-10 minutes at that temp or above to really show up as noticible in your final beer.

170 is a standard mashout temp. I've done almost 25 BIAB mashouts at 170F without any tannin mouthfeel in my final brews. I even accidentally heated my mashout wort to 212 boiling once for a good 2 minutes, but due to the thermal energy of the mash, that only heated the INTERNAL temp of the mash to about 178. Again, no tannin mouthfeel in my final brew.

Point being, my experience and most of what I've read says pay attention and keep your mash's internal temp under 180F (stir like crazy during mashout for BIAB), and you'll be fine.

It's difficult to extract tannins, you really have to work at it!

I found it quite easy to extract tannins, but not by adding too much heat. I did it by over sparging, and letting the pH get too high when I was learning to sparge.

True, PH levels above 6 can start tannin extraction. I have a fancy water filter that also allows me to also set water PH levels, so it's pretty easy for me to keep my PH in the low 5s, even during sparging.

Back