Apartment brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmorrison21

Reaction score
So I'm moving to a much smaller domicile. Its going to make brewing a little more difficulty but I plan on continuing to do it regularly. I haver a turkey fryer but since I an on the second floor Of an apartment complex using it is more or less prohibited. My biggest concern is the units stove. It is an electric coil stove. Will that boil 3 gallons? 5? Any suggestions for brewing in a small (really small) brewhouse? Is all grain even a possibility?

I have brewed plenty of batches on an electric coil range when I use to live in an apartment and have had good success. I would boil 3 gallons of wort and top off with water to make 5 gallons. They were all extract brews though, never tried an all grain in the apartment. I know there is talk about electric coil ranges being an issue due to burning but I have never had an issue with mine. In fact I still use my electric coil range in my house to brew extract batches.

-Cheers

I'm guessing you'll be able to boil 3 gallons but maybe not 5. It does depend on the exact stove. You can try split boils in two pots. You can do half batch AG, brew in the bag or otherwise. If you have to, you can do a little less than a full boil and use top off water. There are lots of makeshift options.

I have been able to pull off full (5 gal) boils doing B.I.A.B. using just half extract but to get a good rolling boil I've done best splitting between a large and small burner that are front to back (instead of side by side). Heavy Duty Aluminum foil is your friend, I go under the burners and around the pot (doubt i could find the tread again but thanks to the people that made it). It usually takes 45 min or so to get going, and i generally leave the large burner on and use the small to control the boil intensity.

How is the wiring in the place? How many amps are you getting on the kitchen outlets?

You could probably do a full boil on the stovetop if you supplement the burner with a heat stick. Or another option if you have the power is to just changeover to an all-electric system and stick the element directly in there and use a one or two vessel approach and go countertop instead of stovetop.

So I'm moving to a much smaller domicile. Its going to make brewing a little more difficulty but I plan on continuing to do it regularly. I haver a turkey fryer but since I an on the second floor Of an apartment complex using it is more or less prohibited. My biggest concern is the units stove. It is an electric coil stove. Will that boil 3 gallons? 5? Any suggestions for brewing in a small (really small) brewhouse? Is all grain even a possibility?

Yes, it's possible to do all-grain in an apartment.

I had great success doing all-grain brews in my old apartment. I had two 4-gallon pots and would do a split boil on my stove. Just account for the extra boil-off rate and remember to split your hop additions evenly and you are good to go. It's also good practice to try and make sure the gravity in each pot is as similar as possible to ensure you have even hop utilization between the two, although this isn't a huge concern.

Use both of the larger elements at the same time. You will be able to boil nearly 5. If I filled my two stock pots up full I could get 5 gallons. I usually only have to top up half a gallon or so.

Takes a while to get to a boil but it works.

I have never tried brewing in a garage but to be honest, at this point I prefer the cleanliness of a kitchen.

Back