Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Can I simply wipe out my brewbucket with hot water and a cloth if I plan to use starsan? I've been using the pink powder to clean and disinfect but find it time consuming so I recently bought starsan. If the bucket is cleaned with hot water, shouldn't the starsan take care of any leftover nasties?

I always rinse well after brewing orbotteling with just hot water maybe some baking soda.I give it a quick rinse before using it next time and just soak in no-rinse.

I prefer to take it all apart (remove lid,separate air lock components,unscrew tap & take apart) & clean everything with Five Star PBW & a terry cloth towel (like the kind we all buy at the auto parts store). Clean it inside & out. It's also a no rinse cleaner,so I put it on a dish rack to dry.
Re-assemble & store till next brew day. Then sanitize right before use with Star-san,also no rinse. Works great every time.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it...Star San is a sanitizer, not a cleanser. I usually clean everything before I put it away with whatever cleanser I have on hand and then sanitize it right before I use it again.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it...Star San is a sanitizer, not a cleanser. I usually clean everything before I put it away with whatever cleanser I have on hand and then sanitize it right before I use it again.

I would agree. I would clean it with a food safe cleaner and then hit with Star San the next go round. Again its about personal preference. I get the nerves going so i try to do as much as I can to control for stuff. It lets me sleep easy when i approach overkill.

+1

Clean it as you would anything that's going to touch your food... I usually use either oxyclean, PBW, or a soapy sponge... Sanitize with StarSan before using next (except the kettle)...

ALWAYS sanitize just prior to use... I'm talking minutes from when something's going into it, not X hours, or days ahead.

The problem with the cleaner I have is that it takes so much water to rinse. I've been using the rule that if I can smell it cleaner, it needs more rinsing. By the time I do my plastic bucket and my carboy, that tends t be a lot of time and water. Maybe I'm using too much pink powder.

What is this pink powder you're using?

As with most things, the right concentration is important.

I used the last of my oxyclean the other day to get the last of the gunk out of a carboy. It's not difficult, IMO, to rinse out a carboy, provided you have a sprayer hose in your sink. A few rinses and it was all good there... Let it dry and I'll be setting it aside...

I take a very weak solution of bleach and wash everything with that, I then rinse in boiled water before I put anything in it. No infections so far. I am going to get some starsan because it's easier but there are always solutions to the problem (pun intended).

;-)

Diversol.

Anything like Fukitol? :D

Personally, I'll just stick with PBW/oxyclean to clean the stuck on stuff, and regular cleaners for the rest... StarSan does a bang-up job for sanitation... I don't mind (one bit) using two different items when cleaning and sanitizing... Especially since I'm usually not using an item the same day I'm cleaning it...

Back