Why a BIAB saved my Mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
I've taken to mashing in a BIAB in my keggle with RIMS. It always seems to provide a clearer wort and easier clean up. This past week it saved me from disaster when the false bottom caved in. I had 33lbs of grain and 1.5 qt/lb water which was just a tad too much water for the volume of grain. When I transferred the first runnings to the BK it stopped a few gallons short and I realized that something had stuck. I simply pulled up on the grain bag and heard a sucking/vacuum release sound, after a few more tugs on the bag things started flowing again. Without the bag I would have had to transfer 30lbs of grain to another vessel so I could fix the false bottom.

I will never brew without the BIAB again.

Now you just have to do true no-sparge BIAB. Makes your brew day even easier. No mash tun to clean!:mug:

Now you just have to do true no-sparge BIAB. Makes your brew day even easier. No mash tun to clean!:mug:

That is the plan when I downsize to 5 gallon batches and sell the bigger stand. It seems like a ridiculously simple way to brew. :ban:

I do ~8 gallon batches (10-11 preboil) BIAB full volume no sparge. It's really beautiful. I love BIAB and no chill. I even have a 10gal cooler MLT and I still prefer BIAB.

Latest posts

Back