airlock overflowith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshak

Reaction score
hey guys i have a question hope you can help,
i just started a mead yesterday and its fermenting so much that my airlock is starting to bubble over. what can i do?

thanks for the help

4 lb alfalfa honey
1/2 pack D-47
1 gl. carboy
1 tsp yeast energizer

i assume you mean the StarSan in the air lock is foaming all over the place. if so the only thing you can do is reduce the amount of water in the airlock. or you can just let the foaming stop by itself. eventually enough StarSan will come out the airlock and it will stop getting everywhere.

thanks guys i'll get a blowoff tube on it. now the only other question i have is will it be safe sitting there for 4 days because i wont be able to get one till then or will the pressure build up dangerously high?

it's not necessarily the pressure if you have an airlock, it's that all the precious mead will overflow onto the floor!

If you can open it and let a couple ounces of must out you might create enough headspace to stop the overflow.

Either way, you should pull off the airlock, clean and sanitize it, and put it back on.

If the mead is foaming up into the airlock, antifoam drops are very helpful. If you smear some around the inside neck of the carboy it may prevent Mead Eruption Accidents quite effectively.

If the fermentation rate is just causing the airlock to bubble too fast, you can take the airlock off and just cover the opening with a sanitized cloth for a few days until the fermentation rate slows down. The air exposure at this stage will be no problem.

Medsen

Back