FWH Only American Style Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I need a bier or 2 to enter into my HB club's fall competition, category Specialty Beers. I'm tossing around another idea or two, but I'm gonna brew this one first.

What do ya think of the recipe?

Note I'm going to mash at around 149-151, have my best results in that range, that's why I've got 1# of crystal malts in this small bier. My thoughts on doing it this way are because I want it to dry out to help emphasize the smooth bittering from the FWH process. Hoping to keep mouthfeel etc. Though if y'all suggest raising it to 153-154 and dropping the crystals down to 1/2# I'm open to that advice also.

FWH Only American Style Ordinary Bitter
5# M.O.
8 oz. Crystal 20
8 oz. Crystal 40
6 oz. Flaked Wheat

2 oz. Cascade FWH 7.1 AAU (14.2 AAU total)

Projected bier stats
O.G. 1.035
F.G. 1.007
IBU 36 I read some FWH threads on here, seems this is close to how it will feel/taste, as actual IBU's will be closer to 60.
SRM 8
ABV 3.6

Ferment with Nottingham or US-05

I may dryhop with with 1 ounce depending on the aromatics.

Thoughts??????

Schlante,
Phillip

I think that you might end up with a slightly under complex beer. If you are only going to FWH, then at least use a variety of hops IMO. I like FWH as an added character of a beer, but to me an all FWH or an all Hop Burst (20min) beer is kinda boring. I did a FWH and Hop Burst beer and it went from IPA in numbers to pale ale in flavor.

While realizing doing an American styled OB is enough to qualify for "specialty" bier status, I wanted to do the FWH for the experience & to learn what it does for a bier. This being a simple straight forward bier I thought it a good test subject. I can dry-hop if necessary, if it's too boring. From your experience will I wind up with a bland flavor from FWH? If others tell me it'll be too bland, I'll reconsider.

Schlante,
Phillip

I think it will be fine. A simple beer is what you are making and what you are going to get. Trying the FWH is the best part, I use it all the time. It may or may not win an award, but you will have a better handle on FWH.

David

I say go for it. There will be no better way to figure out exactly what FWH does for a beer than to make a beer with only FWH. I think it will be good beer too.

A quick thank you for the input. I'm going with it as is above or very close. If it's good I'll post on it later... if not I'll let the thread drift silently off into cyberspace!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps looks like my IBU calculation might be closer to 72-77... I don't care how smooth it is, you're gonna know there's some bitterness in a 1.36 bier!

Back