Kolsch at normal Ale temps (EdWort's recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I was planning on brewing a batch of EdWort's Kolsch and then pitching a batch of his Oktoberfest recipe on the yeast cake. However, I have no means to lager or crash cold condition. Will the Kolsch taste bad if I ferment it at 68 degrees ambient temperature (my basement)? I imagine this is not as much of a concern with the Oktoberfest given the maltiness...

I guess my question is, Aanyone brew Kolsch at normal temps and have good results?

68 is just fine. I have fermented Wyeast's Kolsch yeast at 75 in the past and had no issues. Slightly higher fruit character when fermented at 75 compared to 68 or low 60s. Just go for it. I actually brewed a Kolsch batch a few weeks ago and pitched a Vienna "lager" on top of it. Took right off at 65. Whenever you are done fermenting, usually after 10-14 days, just bottle or keg and put it in the fridge

From my own experience, fermenting cooler would be ideal, but 68 will work. You'll just get more of the fruity/white wine flavors.

The more difficult part will be getting the beer to clear. The Kolsch yeasts I've used have very low flocculation. Lagering is pretty key to getting them to clear. Without a filter or a way to drop the temperature, it's going to be tough to get clear beer. You could bottle and then cool, but you'd end up with all the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Having that much yeast at the bottom may not be best for long term storage.

Just get a larger tub of water and add some ice bottles to it. I can ferment in my garage here in Florida and still keep the fermentation in the low 50's if I need to. You will be rewarded with a much better and closer to style beer.

I used White Labs Kolsch (WLP029) at 65°F and then "lagered" in my keggerator for 2 weeks. Crystal clear and with a very slight fruity note.

White Labs recommends 65° to 69° F for primary fermentation and stipulates that it doesn't ferment well under 62° unless it is already in active fermentation.

White Labs - WLP029

Latest posts

Back