Few Noob Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCapn22

Reaction score
I know that twist off caps are bad, because they're prone to leaking. My father is a BMC enthusiast, most are twist bottles, I was wondering if it's possible to use the regular caps with the twist off bottles? I'm assuming you can't, but figured I'd ask.

Also, if it's not possible, what are some BMC or cheaper beers out there that use the regular caps, so I can buy my father those and he can send me the bottles.

You don't always need a bench capper for twist offs, because some have that 'lip' underneath for the capper to grab on to like crown cap bottles.

they leak.. I've tried to test...
maybe after you cap you can "twist the top" tight.. that may ... MAY seal the product...

I experimented once during my first couple batches with the twist off bottles. I was able to twist-on the original caps that came with the beer on a couple sixers and they carbed up just as well as the others. I've never tried repeating this since I've accumulated enough bottles on my own and most people I know drink pry-off beers.

Another thing you can try is to call your local recycling place and see if they'll let you come get some bottles. Explain that you have a "project" and need some. Free bottles, you just need to clean and sanitize them well before using.

Try freecycle.org and sign up for a local group. You might find bottles posted on there already or you can post that you are looking for some.

I just picked up 10 cases of 12 oz bottles and a dozen 22/750ml bottles a couple of days ago. Free and not out of my way to pick them up.

Back