Shut Up and Brew It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We keep seeing these threads trashing BMC, and often times American lagers in general, as junk. Trash beer. Cheap, flavorless crap. Or nasty tasting crap. Or how it's blah blah blah, anyone could brew that swill. And that last remark is often followed with the built in cop out, but who would want to.

Okay, tough guy. Brew it.

I motion that anyone who makes such incredulous comments must brew an American lager on par with that of BMC and submit it to be judged by HBT or an officially recognized BJCP competition. Then they have to do it at least once more. Minimum 5 gallon batches. The scores must then be posted here. It has to take at least bronze, twice, for that person to spout off.

PS
Bud Platinum really does suck. That's the one freebee.

I for one love American and Canadian BMC beers. After all, Why else would any of us be brewing beer if we hadn't drank lots of it from one of the big companies, and liked it!!!! If you didn't like it you would be making wine!

I'm not saying that it's the best beer ever, but I have 8-10 different kinds in the beer fridge at all times. Most are very drinkable, which is more than I can say for a lot of home brews I've been asked to try.

Think about it. :)

Right on, man. I don't really care for it personally but I won't turn one down at a party. You don't have to like it but you do have to respect what those brewers do on a daily basis year after year.

Hmm, I don't care enough to make that large of a batch of something I don't care for. Or go through the judge etc, but it might be interesting to see what the process for a lite lager is like.... I'll add it to the list once I have temp control equipment.

Dude sometimes I just want to drink a 12 pack of mich light while playing video games. In summer I like to pound some Leinie's lights while mowing the lawn. I don't always like being full or tipsy after a few beers of craft/homebrew beer. Sometimes I just want quantity over quality. Eff it.. the BMC bashing threads are insanely annoying so I just avoid them.

If someone has a bomb recipe and technique for making that kind of stuff at home I'd be all over it.

I have been meaning to try this one for some time now: Recipe

We keep seeing these threads trashing BMC, and often times American lagers in general, as junk. Trash beer. Cheap, flavorless crap. Or nasty tasting crap. Or how it's blah blah blah, anyone could brew that swill. And that last remark is often followed with the built in cop out, but who would want to.

I motion that anyone who makes such incredulous comments must brew an American lager on par with that of BMC and submit it to be judged by HBT or an officially recognized BJCP competition. Then they have to do it at least once more. Minimum 5 gallon batches. The scores must then be posted here. It has to take at least bronze, twice, for that person to spout off.

PS

I used to be a BMC trash talker before I reached enlightenment, but in order to make amends I'd like to retroactively take up this challenge. If I opt to have it judged by HBT, what constitutes a successful brew?

I do not like Bud, Miller, Coors or any of their Light/Lite offerings. I will turn it down at a party, because I do not like the taste. I will not waste my time or money to brew something I don't like and have it judged because someone else wants me to prove something.

I do not like Bud, Miller, Coors or any of their Light/Lite offerings. I will turn it down at a party, because I do not like the taste. I will not waste my time or money to brew something I don't like and have it judged because someone else wants me to prove something.

BMC do suck. And why would I want to brew an adjunct lager when I can brew a real German Lager?

The challenge wasn't to brew it because you like it, it was to PYMWYMI.

I haven't cared much for my homebrew versions. Probably my methods, but in the end I rarely want a light lager anyway. They can be tough to brew if you don't have your process under control and a good recipe. I've decided to part ways with one of my fridges since I really don't see myself needing a dedicated lagering chamber.

Then I think I just want to brew one for the challenge. Maybe a half-batch in the kitchen and then lager in the garage while it's winter.

I've decided to part ways with one of my fridges since I really don't see myself needing a dedicated lagering chamber.

You may want to reconsider. Take it from a guy who got rid of his fermentation chamber (old chest freezer) a year ago. Wife was getting a new chest freezer for food storage. I planned on getting a newer, more efficient chest freezer soon. When hers was delivered, I had them take mine away for free.

A year later, I'm relying on basement ambient temps and a swamp cooler.

You may want to reconsider. Take it from a guy who got rid of his fermentation chamber (old chest freezer) a year ago. Wife was getting a new chest freezer for food storage. I planned on getting a newer, more efficient chest freezer soon. When hers was delivered, I had them take mine away for free.

A year later, I'm relying on basement ambient temps and a swamp cooler.

Nah. I have two chambers in the garage, plus a small chest freezer in the house that the wife thinks we can move so we have more room for cupboards or other storage.

I'm planning on putting that in my hobby room inside for an in-house ferm chamber and selling/giving one of my fridges in the garage. And the Coke machine is going bye-bye so I have room for my brew rig and make my garage a lot more organized.

I won't miss the extra ferm chamber even if I wasn't technically replacing it with the chest freezer.

PS

I don't have the scores in front of me, but I brew a standard American lager that has twice made it into the finals of the National Homebrew Conference (haven't medaled at the NHC - yet) I guess that qualifies me to spout off about BMC!

Here goes........... I don't mind them at all. I find all the various flagships brews and their second brands perfectly fine. I actually prefer some of the cheaper stuff, as they have more character. They certainly all taste different, and I bet most BMC drinkers could easily distinguish between B, M and C, and would readily defend their favorite - just like many other people do with IPAs. One should not bash breweries just because you personally don't happen to like the style of beer they make. They make a very good product.

I've even managed to turn a few "Oh, I only drink ales now" types back to the lagers of their youth, well at least my homebrewed lagers.

I for one love American and Canadian BMC beers. After all, Why else would any of us be brewing beer if we hadn't drank lots of it from one of the big companies, and liked it!!!! If you didn't like it you would be making wine!

:drunk:

This is not the description of the majority of AHA members of home brewers that I have ever talked to or interacted with IRL or on the internet.

:drunk:

This is not the description of the majority of AHA members of home brewers that I have ever talked to or interacted with IRL or on the internet.

I'm certainly not saying anything bad about anyone on this forum. Quite the oppisite, Most have been great, but there are a few who do come accross as a bit snobish. That is certainly their right, and they deserve to voice their oppinion as much as anyone else. I mearly wanted to remind them that they too, once enjoyed a BMH. They may have found something that they enjoy more, but it was still a bMH beer that got them started, and I believe that credit is due where it is deserved!

BMH beers are what they are and nothing more and nothing less!

I'm certainly not saying anything bad about anyone on this forum. Quite the oppisite, Most have been great, but there are a few who do come accross as a bit snobish. That is certainly their right, and they deserve to voice their oppinion as much as anyone else. I mearly wanted to remind them that they too, once enjoyed a BMH. They may have found something that they enjoy more, but it was still a bMH beer that got them started, and I believe that credit is due where it is deserved!

That's all well and good, but a gateway to home brewing or craft beer they are not. That's like saying Taco Bell was probably Rick Bayless's inspiration. Ok, maybe not the best analogy either, but while I appreciate the industrial process, I generally don't like the product and refuse to buy them because of the undue influence they yield over the brewing and distribution industry to the detriment of craft/home brewers and the general growth of new breweries and styles... That part of it has very little to do with the flavorless yellow liquids they produce.

The challenge wasn't to brew it because you like it, it was to PYMWYMI.

I understood the challenge. I just disagree with the whole point of it. "Oh, you don't like Banquet frozen dinners and bash on them? You make some and have it judged by a panel of food critics!" same idea. and if the point is to disperse of beer snobbery, then it's gonna fall on deaf ears. I'll go back to PBR, Leinie's, and Schell's Deer Brand. but the need to prove anything on a dare is quite childish and I won't condone such behavior. I didn't in grade school, and I don't now.

I understood the challenge. I just disagree with the whole point of it. "Oh, you don't like Banquet frozen dinners and bash on them? You make some and have it judged by a panel of food critics!" same idea. and if the point is to disperse of beer snobbery, then it's gonna fall on deaf ears. I'll go back to PBR, Leinie's, and Schell's Deer Brand. but the need to prove anything on a dare is quite childish and I won't condone such behavior. I didn't in grade school, and I don't now.

Fine. Now it's a double dog dare.

I'm drinking my first home brewed American standard lager now. It's my own recipe modeled after BJCP guidelines. It came out pretty damn good. Four out of four other people agree. One, another avid home brewer, and the opinion I place the most value on, said it had a very slight phenolic, "kinda sorta almost" salt flavor on the lips after a few sips. So as I sit here and wet my lips thoroughly with each sip, I get the salt. The only way I can see it being there is from my tap water. I didn't build it at all. Straight from city tap to kettle. I can taste the corn too, which I was going for. It's mostly in the after taste.

All in all, it's a damn fine beer and a damn fine representation of the style.

Clarity, you ask? "Clarity is overrated." Southern Star. Which means, it aint clear. Not by a long shot.

Wonder if this will keep to make it to a contest? And how would it do? I will brew it again, next time with an attempt at water building.

WP_000376.jpg

Zuljin said:

PS

The original post assumes everyone speaking against BMC does so believing BMC do not brew an American lager well. I don't care for most lagers. I really don't like the BMC style American lagers. So, to speak bad about swill I have to prove that I can brew better swill?

The nice thing about this board is I can spout off about any beer I want and don't have to earn the privilege.

The original post assumes everyone speaking against BMC does so believing BMC do not brew an American lager well. I don't care for most lagers. I really don't like the BMC style American lagers. So, to speak bad about swill I have to prove that I can brew better swill?

The nice thing about this board is I can spout off about any beer I want and don't have to earn the privilege.

Ah, see, if you don't like American lager, you don't like American lager. That's fine. I don't much care for milk stout or these hop juice x-treme hops beers. And that's fine. But it's not swill. It's only something I don't like. Much. I had some Left Hand milk stout a while back and it was okay. A well done IPA is also good to me, at times.

Won't vouch for the other snobs, but my beer that got me drinking beer was Sam Adams. I of course am not the average Joe since I didn't go to college and was working a sales job at 21. Before that I drank terrible vodka, rum, or whiskey mixed with something else. My "bad beer" is Yuengling which is much less evil and JMO much better tasting, though that could largely be in my head, though beechwood aging tastes like piss.

Ah, see, if you don't like American lager, you don't like American lager. That's fine. I don't much care for milk stout or these hop juice x-treme hops beers. And that's fine. But it's not swill. It's only something I don't like. Much. I had some Left Hand milk stout a while back and it was okay. A well done IPA is also good to me, at times.

Actually, one definition of "swill" is "a deep draught of drink, esp beer" (Taken from the World English Dictionary) or as a verb meaning "to drink large quantities of liquid," (from the same dictionary). Since I believe BMC have no other redeeming quality than the ability to be consumed in copious amounts, I am using the term properly.

Back