Antique beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I found this in the basement of a local, historic building about 8 years ago. About half of the liquid has evaporated. I'm not sure how that happens.. I guess the cap isn't sealed perfectly.... So, who's brave enough to drink it??
IMG00523-20120203-0829.jpg
[/IMG]

Didn't the photo show up on my post? When I look at my post I can see it..

I've toured the Yuengling plant in Pottsville PA several times and on the tour they have many bottles like this of theirs...

On one tour a guy asked if the old bottles were drinkable, guide said no they would taste awful, and were worth more sealed.

Any idea of age? Have you contacted Coors?

I can see photo cool bottle!

I have no clue of the age. The label is not completely legible. I haven't contacted Coors.. Maybe I should?! I actually wouldn't open it.. I agree that it's woth more sealed.

About half of the liquid has evaporated. I'm not sure how that happens.. I guess the cap isn't sealed perfectly.... So, who's brave enough to drink it??

I guess the reason is that they most likely used a different type of crown cap back then. If you popped the cap, I'd wager it has a cork seal rather than the soft plastic. Cork, as with a wine bottle cork, "breathes" which can lead to some exchange of gasses as well as liquid evaporation.

I guess the reason is that they most likely used a different type of crown cap back then. If you popped the cap, I'd wager it has a cork seal rather than the soft plastic. Cork, as with a wine bottle cork, "breathes" which can lead to some exchange of gasses as well as liquid evaporation.
It's a twist top. I doesn't look like it has a cork in it. Unless you mean a cork lining.. If that's the case I can't tell..

http://www.millercoors.com/contact-us.aspx

there is a collectable category but I think they mean current. there is also a comment box which you should be able to tell them what you have... pre prohibition? maybe judging by bottle style... let me know what you find out. Got me curious.

I'll check this out. I'll let you know what I find out. I don't think it's that old. If I had to guess, I'd say 1970's..

You would be correct on cork gasket. Saw that at Yuengling museum. Really interested in age of this bottle. I have an old british "stone brewed" clay fired bottle in my limited collection I have dated to early/ mid 1800's and was probably corked. was given to me as a gift from an ex GF.

first bottle caps came about in 1891 by "crown" in Baltimore, MD.

You should call American Pickers....no no, take it to Antique Road Show.

Would a Coors bottle really be worth anything more than the amusement of seeing a friend drink it? On an episode of American Restoration one of the guys drank a really old Pepsi....kinda funny to watch

I remember when my grandparents use to drink they would get Coors related stuff but I always thought they ran promotions like Coke does now, you get points from 6 packs and what not and can buy stuff....I'm going to have to go check out their garage now

some of the 15 year old coors light baseball bat bottles are worth a few bucks... had an offer of $30 for my empty stoneware bottle, kept it , but sold my wedding band for $100! lol. get rid of the bad mojo!

cork lining... and doubt if it's a twist top... probably a pop top, but don't try to open it! lol

It's a twisty. I won't open it!
IMG00528-20120203-2240.jpg
[/IMG]

You should call American Pickers....no no, take it to Antique Road Show.

Would a Coors bottle really be worth anything more than the amusement of seeing a friend drink it? On an episode of American Restoration one of the guys drank a really old Pepsi....kinda funny to watch

I remember when my grandparents use to drink they would get Coors related stuff but I always thought they ran promotions like Coke does now, you get points from 6 packs and what not and can buy stuff....I'm going to have to go check out their garage now

I love all of those shows! You're not going to believe this, but my current client used to be the curator for my local museum of art. It just so happens he was on Antique Road Show for 6 years. Here's the kicker.... his specialty is glassware, bottles, flasks, decanters, etc... He's looking at an antique olive oil glass for me next week. I shall take the Coors bottle along for the ride on that day and see what he says about it!

http://www.sha.org/bottle/beer.htm

Part of my search to ID my stoneware bottle. mine is very similar to one near top on left amber base stone top.

Nice!

some of the 15 year old coors light baseball bat bottles are worth a few bucks... had an offer of $30 for my empty stoneware bottle, kept it , but sold my wedding band for $100! lol. get rid of the bad mojo!

That ring should have been burned and turned into fertilizer! haha..

I love all of those shows! You're not going to believe this, but my current client used to be the curator for my local museum of art. It just so happens he was on Antique Road Show for 6 years. Here's the kicker.... his specialty is glassware, bottles, flasks, decanters, etc... He's looking at an antique olive oil glass for me next week. I shall take the Coors bottle along for the ride on that day and see what he says about it!

Nice!

yeah let me know,,, love the "twist instruction" on top Marketing at it's best!

It's funny, because I haven't had a Coors in over 20 years. Now that I'm a "beer snob" I don't even drink commercial beer, but I'm kinda wanting a Coors all of a sudden.. haha

LOL haven't had a full coors since just after college probably 93 when I started brewing. Had a few coors lights on golf course and with a few scout dads... but not my first choice... by any stretch! was so glad to see Yuengling on the golf course here in myrtle! woo! no more bud! beechwood aged my ass! LOL

Hmm need to cook some shrimp tomorrow 6'r of coors was a college fav! newish to east coast in 80's! LMAO!:tank:

I think I might pick up a quart today, just for the sake of nostalgia.. I emailed Coors. I'll let you know what I find out about my old bottle.

Back