How many points for SUGAR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJBrewer

Reaction score
Hello, yes I have heard all about the do's and don'ts of using sugar in you beer, so ha I beat you to the punch! My question is when using plane table sugar (melting in boiled water and let cool) in beer, how may gravity points does it add. Say if you wanted to boost the ABV, and you added 1 pound of sugar, how much would that add % wise? Tanks!!!:drunk:

No, it's 42PPG, which if you were making a five gallon batch would be 42/5= 8.4.

So if I an OG of 1.41 and I added 1 lb of sugar to my primary, adding the 42 points, "in theory" my OG would then be 1.83???? :confused:

no, no, no -- I think you have to divide by your total volume.

so if you add 1 lb of sugar to 5 gallons of work, you'll add about 8 pts of gravtiy. The "42" is the PPG which stand for potential points per gallon or something. I'm a little :drunk:

No, it's 42PPG, which if you were making a five gallon batch would be 42/5= 8.4.

It is actually 42 GUs (Gravity Units,) which in a 5 gallon batch would be 8.4 PPG. In a 10 gallon batch it would be 4.2 PPG.

GUs is a fixed value based on the fermentable which does not change with volume.

It is actually 42 GUs (Gravity Units,) which in a 5 gallon batch would be 8.4 PPG. In a 10 gallon batch it would be 4.2 PPG.

GUs is a fixed value based on the fermentable which does not change with volume.

Thanks for correcting the terminology. :mug:

WOW! you guys are awesome, thanks for the breakdown! So...if the points added to the brew are 8.4, and say I had an OG of 1.041...add the 8.4 and my new OG would be 1.049ish...correct?

I think another way of calculating it is 17grams of sucrose per percent alcohol(by volume) per liter of total volume(includes sugar and water).

Back