Brewmart Mexican kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolero

Reaction score
Just got back from the LHS, with a bunch of new booty. One thing I can't seem to find any info on is this Brewmart Mexican Style kit. I know most on these forums hate Corona and the like, but I like it and wanted to try a kit in the style. I've searched and can find hardly any reviews or anything about Brewmaster kits in general. Are they junk or something? A newer brand maybe? I knew I should have went with the Munton's Cerveza.
So anybody here tried it?

I'm not a big Corona fan either but I brewed one of these early this summer. It's ok, but nothing special IMO. My fermentation temps could have been bordering on the high side with this one though. I think I have almost a case of this stuff left. I like their American Light kit and thought their Czech Pilsner was outstanding.

have it in my secondary now. is a little more amber than I thought, tasted OK when I tried it when checking the gravity, more like a Dos XX but really will not be able to tell for another week or so. the kit I used has an ale yeast rather than the lager yeast most cerveza's use also it's only 10 days since I pitched the yeast and needs more time. will let you know.

brewed a lager version from annapolis home brew this summer which was supposed to be lagered but I "aged" it at about 62 degrees and it turned out well. We like cervezas also and will try out a few more

admittedly not a fan of Corona however...

No, I have not heard of the brew brand you mention. What I can offer though is this. From what I have read about duplicating the style you will want to either bottle the beers in clear glass or at some point expose them to direct UV light before bottling to duplicate the flavor aroma profile. Please understand, I am not trying to be a dick, this is what I have read from several sources. Corona is purposefully bottled in clear bottles to achieve that skunked flavor. in fact, they also can Corona but before it is packaged in the cans it is exposed to extreme UV light for a certain amount of time since cans do not allow light in.

Consider that before you package if you are trying to duplicate.

if you know anyone that likes this style, Landshark clear bottles are great to bottle this in. the only problem is they use a plastic label that needs to be peeled off and the glue is very hard to remove. a heavy dose of oxyclean in water and soak for 2 or more days and it comes off OK using a scouring pad. but as mentioned above the the clear bottles are a necessity. not sure about the UV but sounds right and the clear did taste better than the brown bottle thinking back. will need to do some research.

historically more than a few germans settled in old mexico, and brought their love of lagers with them... i'd imagine it's a typical lager.

Just got back from the LHS, with a bunch of new booty. One thing I can't seem to find any info on is this Brewmart Mexican Style kit. I know most on these forums hate Corona and the like, but I like it and wanted to try a kit in the style. I've searched and can find hardly any reviews or anything about Brewmaster kits in general. Are they junk or something? A newer brand maybe? I knew I should have went with the Munton's Cerveza.
So anybody here tried it?

from another tread on cervezas.

my second cervesa is Midwest Supplies Brewmart prehopped 20 min boil using an ale yeast fermented at 68 degrees. It is bottled for a week now and is a little deeper gold than corona but similar, maybe a little heavier flavor. Had one tonight after only a week in the bottle and 1 day in the fridge, is very good, a little more amber than corona but close in taste still a tad bit green but very good. My wife tasted it and it is definitely a brew she likes and will drink. will give it another two weeks and if preliminary tastes are any indicator I will be brewing this again for the summer.

will give it another two weeks and if preliminary tastes are any indicator I will be brewing this again for the summer.

gave it a little longer. the cerveza is ok not sure what I do not like about it tastes similar to corona, is light and easily drinkable but I think the first I made had a cleaner flavor and I will definately try a few others until I find the one I like the best.

Back