Fridge conversion, what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sero73

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster here. I have an upright standard fridge with freezer on top. I would like to convert it to a kegerator to handle 2 kegs and 2 taps. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need, but I want to be sure. I would like to have a single CO2 tank that can both handle dispensing of one keg and carbonating the other.

2 keg and CO2 tank system
2 x 6" stainless shanks
2 x washers
2 x beer wingnuts
2 x stainless tailpieces
2 x faucets (with stainless levers)
2 x faucet knobs

Should I go this route or just purchase sme kind of all-in-one 2 keg refrigerator conversion kit? Also, 3/16" or 1/4", does it matter? Thanks!

Robert

You seem pretty well on track. Look into getting perlick faucets though since they are forward sealing and work wonderfully in a seldom used environment. Also get a faucet wrench to help you take it all apart to clean.

3/16" line is preferred because you will need less to get the same pressure drop (you want barely any PSI at the tap) so plan on 8-10 ft of 3/16" line for each tap, plus tube for gas as well ( either size or bigger works for the Co2 side)

YES! If you can afford it, buy Perlicks or Ventmatics from the get-go! Standard beer faucets are just a PITA to keep running, especially if you use them for 1 or 2 pints a night. They stick really badly, whereas the Perlicks work like a DREAM.

Superior Products has them cheap, they come out to about $40 with shipping each faucet. http://www.superprod.com/

Also, 6" might be excessively long, it depends on your particular fridge. I think my shanks are 4.5".

Thanks guys, I will definitely go with the Perlicks after your recommendation and subsequent research. It seems Ventmatics are unavailable at the online retailers, wonder why? I am so exited about giving this a go :ban:. If the homebrew hobby doesn't work out (fingers crossed), I can always set up a commercially bought keg and draft. Anything is better than hauling out the full recycle bin every Tuesday morning with the sound of many a klinking beer bottles and wondering what the neighbors think :D

Back