Woo Hoo - Bulk Order is On Its Way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
55 pounds of Marris
55 pounds of Pilsen
55 pounds of Golden Promise
17.5 pounds of Flaked Wheat

Grand Total including shipping and handling...

$129.42 :ban:

Now...where is that "Does HomeBrewing Save You Money" thread?

:D

BierMuncher said:
55 pounds of Marris
55 pounds of Pilsen

Okay, where did you order this from? It makes my orders look silly in comparison.

Wow, and I thought my last order was pretty big. Just arrived last night:

IMG_8624_Small_.JPG

Enough grains for my next 50 gals of beer (all the hops are in the freezer).

BierMuncher said:
55 pounds of Marris
55 pounds of Pilsen

o.k so spill it.. how did you get those prices?

I encourage you all to become friendly and well known at your local brewery. If they will sell to you at cost, you'll pay half of what BierMuncher just spent.

Wow, I just priced that order out at midwest and it's $183+$49 shipping. Looks like you got your grains for almost half price! I wish there was a brewpub around me.

ohiodad said:
o.k so spill it.. how did you get those prices?
A guy with the local brew club coordinates teh bulk buys.

This time we did a double pallet (86 sacks).

28 brewers went in and shipping is essentially free with minium orders.

We (as a bunch of individual brewers) ordered as much as small brewpub orders.

yep, and I missed placing my order by 24 hours. I have to wait until the next order ships and this one is a single pallet so it shouldn't be too long. The prices are crazy low and have prompted me to buy a barley crusher and just jump feet first into all grain. .47/lb for 2 row when the closest the lhbs can do is 1.00/lb on bulk.

That would be cool, where is the pickup? I know he mentioned it could be one of two locations but since I missed out on the order I don't know where it is.

BierMuncher said:
A guy with the local brew club coordinates teh bulk buys.

This time we did a double pallet (86 sacks).

28 brewers went in and shipping is essentially free with minium orders.

We (as a bunch of individual brewers) ordered as much as small brewpub orders.
And that is the true strength of a brew club.

that's it. I'm clearing my schedule for the next meeting. It always seems to land on a day I'm out of town or busy with work.

homebrewer_99 said:
I had 3 boxes of 55# DME arrive from Midwestsupplies.com...:D :ban:

Have you seen a major price increase on that stuff? I heard the prices on LME went up 50% on a wholesale level recently.

EdWort said:
Have you seen a major price increase on that stuff? I heard the prices on LME went up 50% on a wholesale level recently.
I didn't see any price increase above $5 for each 55# box. Maybe I got in early?? :D\

I may have to go back to midwestsupplies.com website and check for any notes.

So back to that original question about where this hobby saves money:

Grain- 182 pounds
Cost- $129

Let's assume you use 10 pounds for a 5 gallon recipe (just for the sake of arguement)

That's 18+ batches of beer. Which is basically $7.17 per batch. Assuming you get basically two cases of beer out of it, that is $3.58 per case of beer. Plus yeast and hops, but still. $4 for a case of beer puts it in perspective when I spent $15 for two bottles of Belgian brew at the local Whole Foods last week.

And there sirs, is your savings. Time to go buy some more brewing equipment.

Added bonus....

Bumped into HarvInStl at the pickup last night and he informed me that the local Micro Brewery had brewed up a local homebrewers competition winner for the local "Beer Festival" in a few weeks. A Rye PA. Kegging day was today.

They were going to keg so many for the event and then any homebrewers who showed up with a cleaned corny could get em filled until they ran out.

The brewery needed to make room for another batch and needed the fermenter emptied.

I just got back from getting my keg filled (beer was cold and carb'd) and dropping it off at the house in my freezer.

I owe you one Anthony.

kmlavoy said:
So back to that original question about where this hobby saves money:

Grain- 182 pounds
Cost- $129

Let's assume you use 10 pounds for a 5 gallon recipe (just for the sake of arguement)

That's 18+ batches of beer. Which is basically $7.17 per batch. Assuming you get basically two cases of beer out of it, that is $3.58 per case of beer. Plus yeast and hops, but still. $4 for a case of beer puts it in perspective when I spent $15 for two bottles of Belgian brew at the local Whole Foods last week.

And there sirs, is your savings. Time to go buy some more brewing equipment.

OH Dear GOD...dont let Bobby M see this....:D

BierMuncher said:
Added bonus....

Bumped into HarvInStl at the pickup last night and he informed me that the local Micro Brewery had brewed up a local homebrewers competition winner for the local "Beer Festival" in a few weeks. A Rye PA. Kegging day was today.

They were going to keg so many for the event and then any homebrewers who showed up with a cleaned corny could get em filled until they ran out.

The brewery needed to make room for another batch and needed the fermenter emptied.

I just got back from getting my keg filled (beer was cold and carb'd) and dropping it off at the house in my freezer.

I owe you one Anthony.

Sweet! Another rough day, eh BierMuncher? How's the beer?

EdWort said:
Sweet! Another rough day, eh BierMuncher? How's the beer?
Haven't sampled....you know...work day and all.

I put it on gas when I dropped it off and I'll draw a "sample" tonight.

I'm tempted to bottle off a case and save it.

Back