who has the best kits for sale online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim.jamison

Reaction score
I have been ordering all of my kits from Austin Home Brew Supply. I have been really happy with their product and speedy shipping but I am looking for some variety in companies. There are tons out there and I don't want to get burned so let me know where you guys like to order from. Thanks, Tim

I don't use kits but morebeer.com has a wide and interesting selection. They have different series' including a signature series where famous brewers make a kit up. They have AG kits for sure...extract too I imagine.

The best kit you can buy is ProMash software and make up your own kits :D

preface: I've never used a kit from these guys before but...

My friends in OH that brew almost always buy their kits from Wind River because they feel that the quality is better than some other places that have ordered from (and it beats the hell out of their LHBS's kits.)

http://windriverbrew.com/

I find it amusing that they actually list the entire contents of their kits on their website, so... I guess you don't need to buy the kits at all. Just look at the ingredients and cook it up yourself.

I tried to order some pint glasses from windriver, and ran into an issue when we discovered that their website had the price per glass listed a full $1.00 below what they actually were selling them for. The guy I spoke with on the phone was a royal pr!ck about the whole thing (somehow he felt the mis-quoted price was MY problem and not his), so I ended up cancelling my order for pint glasses.

My friends swear that they have had good customer service, so maybe I caught the guy on a bad day.

-walker

wait... let me get this straight: the guy got mad at you for pointing out that he was undercharging for something on his website? that's bizarre.

no.. he got mad at me for requesting to actually PURCHASE them at that price.

What happened was that I placed the order on-line and was told I would receive an email confirmation with shipping charges shown (web orders don't give you S&H charges immediately). When I got the invoice, I noticed the price difference for the glasses and called them up to talk to them.

I asked him why the sub-total for the glasses was $8 more than I expected and we found out that the web page had the wrong price.

It went downhill from here, because I told him I didn't want them for that price, he said they had already shipped, I told him I would ship them back, he refused to pay return shipping charges, I said I wanted $8 credited back to my card due to their mistake, he refused to do this, etc, etc.

Eventually, they guy said "FINE! I'll cancel the order and refund your credit card."

I hung up and wondered WTF he was going to do about the glasses that were already shipped to me. I certainly wasn't going to send them back at my own expense.

It didn't matter though, because the glasses never arrived. I can only assume that he had lied when he said that they had already shipped to me.

-walker

I use MoreBeer. They're awsome and so are there kits. None of that canned malt extract crap, it's all fresh. Cans? Isn't that the kind stuff they were using during WWII, like spam? Anyway, MoreBeer has free shipping on orders over $59, about 2 kits w/White Labs yeast.

After reading Walker's replies, I know I'll never use windriverbrew.com. There are too many good HBS out there.

Williams Brewing Kits

When I get local friends into brewing I introduce them the Williams way. They sell their own startup kits that come with one extract brewing kit.

These kits are great, because there were not constructed by a retard :) ... No offense, but the first kit I got was a joke. Williams comes with Liquid Yeast , awsome directions, and some great extracts.

The good news, is that the people I introduce the williams way stick to brewing, which is good, becuase.. geographically... I'm soo very alone in my brewing addiction.

i've had GREAT luck (and good deals) with www.homebrewit.com ... great deals on bottles (cheapest price i've seen) and many other things ... great service and fast shipping as well :)

www.homebrew.com has good kits and good service. They're going through a change in ownership right now, and have been having some shipping delays. I bet they'll be back up to speed soon, if they're not already.

It's generally a good idea to find one relatively close to you.

I jsut got into this HomeBrew thing and received my first two kits as gifts from a LHBS... but I've ordered equipemnt and heard great things about www.northernbrewer.com ... My next few kits will be coming from them... Good luck..!!!

Jester

Back