SG of blueberry juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
OK so I know that this may be an off question, but would anyone happen to know the SG of blueberry juice or where I may be able to find it? Or how to figure it out without a hydrometer? Basically how much fermentable sugar does it add?

I have done a quick google and forum search and came up empty. They reason that I ask is that a friend of mine did a blueberry wheat beer, similar to mine, but instead of using fresh berries he used juice. He did not take a reading but his extract recipe called for 1.046 as on OG. So we are using that. Oh yeah and he used WLP320 yeast.

Thanks, we both appreciate it!

If it is commercial juice with nutrition info, calculate it from the label. Grams of sugar per serving (probably 240ml) will give % sugar, aka Brix. Multiply by 4 and 1000, then divide by 1000.
ex: 32 grams sugar per 240ml servine = 13.3 Brix *4 = 53, which = 1.053 OG.

Or, if there were 4 servings of the above in a quart bottle, you would add 128g of sugar, which is about 4.5oz, to your brew.

See the link below for typical values for a variety of fruits.

http://www.formatinternational.com/examples/fruit_juice_blending.htm

Perfect, thanks!

I love this board just for the reason. Everyone always seems to have an answer to everything.

Thanks again! :mug:

Blueberry season is coming up soon. I'm going to do all my fruit stouts this spring when all the berries are out, fresh and cheap. Look for blueberries in late spring.

Back