62 degrees... too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
I just brewed my first bath of beer on saturday, made a Belgian Amber Ale. The weather here in Texas has been kinda crazy, 30 at night and 75 during the day. I'm keeping my primary in a closet in a spare bedroom. I've taken the temp several times in there and it's consistently 62-63 degrees. I do have a blanket wrapped around the bucket, but i don't know if it's enough.

I used Wyeast 1056 and i'm curious if this it's getting too cold for the yeast, and if so, what are the dangers. It's still bubbling, but not continuously and if i tap on the lid i get a reaction in the airlock.

I can move it to a new place or open the closet door to let more heat in, but it gets pretty cold in that part of the house and i know i should avoid light and draft.

I appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Sounds good to me. I believe the temp range of that yeast in 60-70ish. I don't think you would want to go into the 70 range, but 63 sounds fine. I usually have my brews in the 63-66 range.

I ferment my session ale--which uses WYeast 1056--at 60F to 63F. You may have to ferment slightly longer, but it should come out nice and clean tasting. Very refreshing. I usually prefer to ferment at the lower end of the temperature range of the yeast.

You have nothing to worry about.

I'm just curious, but what are some recommendations to keeping the primary cool?

Right now, I'm getting an avg of about 65-68 in my closet, but I know with the way temps are around here during the summer, finding a cool spot is going to be next to impossible unless i run my a/c hard.

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't too worried, my instructions just said to keep it between 65-75 or something like that.

I do have one other question, though. I noticed a banana smell during the first few days of fermentation, which i've read it normal. Is it normal for those smells to go away, though? I had started to expect them to last the entire process.

Back