Taste Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudester

Reaction score
I Made A Wheat Beer With Extract Sryup. It Taste Funny, Real Sour. What Am I Doing Wrong. My Last Beer Taste The Same.:(

More info would help alot, brew day, fermentation temps and what you are brewing

i've had some wheat beers taste sour when they were green. they got better with age. i had one that was sour after the boil...never found out what happened there...hops were bad, maybe.

your recipe and other details will help. it's possible it was infection, but usually that's not the case. how long has it been in the bottle?

Sour can be a sign of infection by bacteria or that you've made a Lambic, which are intentionally soured by Bretanomyces bruxellensis and B. lambicus. It can also due to age. I had two small ales go sour recently as they got near the end of the keg.

Cleaning and sanitization are the only way to control bacteria. Many breweries will not make Lambics, because it is so hard to get rid of the organisms once they are in the brewery.

I started on sept. 1st. I used 2 cans of coopers unhopped lme and boiled for one hour. I added 1 oz. of domestic tettnanger hops at the start and 1 oz of the same at 30 minutes into it. Cooled it to 70 deg. and pitched one dry pack of safbrew t-58 yeast. Left in primary for 10 days then in secondary for 10 days. Bottled it and let sit for 12 days. I am new at homebrewing. I thought I was doing everything right. My last batch was a sparkling ale that tasted the same. Fermentation temp. was 70 degs. +/-2.

I agree with DeathBrewer, sometimes wheat beers will be sour when green. I especially remember this happening with extract wheat beers. I'd give it another couple weeks.

Back